Showing/Hiding percussion names in score/part

I’ve set up my percussion part (single player) in my score and part, but don’t want the “to X instrument” label showing in the score.

The way I’ve set it up has each instrument on its own staff, and the conductor doesn’t need the “to” information. He sees the name of each staff.

Is there a way of hiding these instrument labels in the score (I still need each staff to have a label to the left, like every other instrument), but have them show in the part?
Optionally, is there a way of hiding them in the part as well?

Would creating a Kit and using the grid option be useful in this circumstance or would that not show the name of each instrument on the lines of the grid?

it would not show the instruments as I want them: single line staves.
I’d also have to create a much larger grid, which takes up too much room.

Dear Michel, according to the manual kits can be shown as single lines.

To answer your problem : use one player per instrument, and you won’t have any To instrument marking anywhere… And as you can include as many players as needed in a part, it could work, the instrument labels would show as you want.

I need a dynamic kit if I use one… one that skips back and forth between varying number of staff lines.
For example, a single line when there’s naught but a snare drum for pages on end, then two lines for those two systems where the percussionist plays both snare and wood blocks. Or three lines if he’s playing a grouping of three wood blocks, then back to a single line for a suspended cymbal roll.
I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this.
I’d appreciate if you have directions on how to achieve the result I need.

If you don’t want the “To” labels and there is only one instrument playing (so a one line staff), how do you indicate what instrument is playing? I’m trying to visualize what you’re after without much luck. I’m not good at that. :slight_smile:

the instruments don’t change mid system.
the names are to the left of each staff, just like the rest of the orchestra.
so if a glockenspiel is playing, then that staff is called “J.de.T” (jeux de timbres), when it changes to xylophone, then the staff is named “Xylo.”

there was one spot where a kit would have been useful, with snare drum and wood-block playing together (1 percussionist), but that is the one and only spot in the whole work where two percussion instruments really needed to be together like that. I ended up simply having separate 1-line staves for each instrument.

like I said, it would be nice if a kit adapted and dynamically changed number of lines to suit the number of instruments playing in any one system.

Ah ha!! That makes a difference. Let me experiment.

I mean, sure, I hid every single instance of this in the score, but it took me all damned day (big score, many pages).

I was just wondering if there’s a built-in or automated way of having this option.

I find the treatment of percussion a bit lackluster.
It’s very nice being able to notate on a grid, but not having that grid be dynamic seems like a terrible oversight in my opinion.
It’s almost as though percussion were developed for use in popular music scores, but not for the type of usage in regular classical/concert music scores.

1 Like

Does the attached score below do what you want? It’s a rather arbitrary example. But if works, I can explain what I did.

Perc test.dorico (504.7 KB)

yes! that’s what I need, I need the grid to change depending on how many instruments are playing.
But just to be clear, I’m still using Dorico 3.5, as I haven’t been able to upgrade yet.

OK, let me test if this works in 3.5.

ah, ok, I think I see what you did here.
but this work-around stops multi-bar rests from appearing in the part.

If you don’t mind the number of staves switching mid system, you can remove the Chord Symbol Regions. The Labels are still disabled.

I’ve been fiddling around with the file you sent me.
But my brain is on low power right now.
can you “Dorico-for-complete-idiots” it for me?

it looks like you made a percussion player, then in that player you made multiple kits with every permutation possible that you might need? (in this simple case, 3 versions)

Ok, everything seems to work in 3.5.

Here is what I did…

I created 3 players with the different number of instruments. So…
Player 1 = Snare
Player 2 = Snare, Wood Block
Player 3 - Snare, Wood Block, Sus Cymbal

I combined the instruments for each Player into a Kit. I then dragged each Kit to Player 1. and deleted Players 2 & 3.

I edited that Short Names for each Kit to a <space> character effectively making them invisible.

In Layout Options>Players>Instrument Changes, I make a custom prefix with a <space> character. This will effectively hide the change labels.

1 Like

Oops, there may be a problem here. In the part, you still want the To labels, right? This, doesn’t work then as the instrument names are absent from the To Label.

I’ll play around with it tomorrow and see if it’s worth changing what I have now for this way of doing it.

adding the “to” labels by hand will be work, but meh, if the end result looks good.

OK, good luck with it. If I find another workaround I’ll post here.

1 Like

I think this will boil down to 2 options.

Use the Custom text field in the Properties Panel in Engrave Mode to set either the score to a <space> or the text you want in the Part. Unfortunately, the Select More command doesn’t work for these labels. That would make hiding the score labels easy.

The other option, which can work well if there are a lot of changes to edit, is to have 2 Players, one assigned to the Score and one to the Part. The music will have to be duplicated. Once all the music is finalized, duplicate the Player. In Galley View, copy all the music from the first Player to the second Player. Assign one Player to the score and the other to the Part. Then, the labels can be shown for the Part and hidden for the score without manually editing all of them.