Sibelius -> MIDI -> Dorico 3.5: only sharps in Eb

Sorry, I’m not so firm in english notation-speak…
After importing a Medley (different keys) per MIDI (from former Sibelius-work) I have a lots of accidentals only sharps.
But every part of the song has different flat-keys like Eb.
In Sibelius I had a plugin to change accidentals according to the key.
In the manuals I found many (for me complicate) solutions, but all seem to need a key BEFORE I write…
I feel to be blind to find a probably easy command.
need suggestions …
Axel

as you’ve found, there are various different approaches to this depending on exactly what you want to do. I’m assuming here that the actual key signatures are correct. What I often find useful is to select a passage where you’d prefer flats to sharps is to use the “calculate interval” feature in the Transpose dialogue and select any sharp in the passage as the “from” and write the equivalent flat as the “to” --e.g D# and Eb. This will correct all the sharps in the passage. You can also choose the option “respell to avoid double and triple sharps and flats”

Dorico doesn’t so far have the range of plug-ins to change the enharmonic spelling of notes like Sibelius has but on the other hand, the enharmonic spelling of projects entered directly into Dorico tends to be more “correct”. Which doesn’t help people who simply want the score to be easier to read but there have been many, at times heated, discussions on this topic.

Oh, this answer so amazing fast thx

I think I understood to change enharmonic but in the popup there is no D# to Eb feature…
Possibly I didnt understand you correct…

I’ve seen the possibility to change all sharps into flats, but thats not what I’m searching for: I would like to have a nice clean easy reading flow …

Would be nice you could answer me again, wehen you’ve seen my screenshot.
thanks until now!
Axel!

Sibelius2DoricoVorzeichen|690x388

I’m not sure why you don’t see the possibility to change for instance the A# to Bb in the “Intervall berechnen” and then click “anwenden” --very important! This will change the sharp accidentals into flats where appropriate. But it’s possible that’s not what you want – if not please give more details about exactly what you mean by “nice easy reading flow”.

Look what happend to the H …

oh this time the screenshot is not agreed …

Now I understood that next to the C D E … are the accidentals
I selected H to change to H flat

the result was H now changed to Cb

My “nice …” :-))) should look like this what I expect:

Please clarify. Is your original screenshot what you’re starting with, or what Dorico’s given you after you’ve clicked some stuff in the Transpose dialog?

If it’s the after then please give us the before - we need to know where you’re starting from.

Hi man,
I exported this medley out of Sibelius.
When I imported this MIDI file I received what you see.
The first song of the medley is C an the second is Eb
and til now I only insertred the 3 b and nothing changed.
I try again to open the MIDIfile and look whether it’s different…

If you’re exporting from Sibelius, why not use MusicXML rather than Midi? MusicXML will keep your accidentals exactly as they are, whereas MIDI has no way of conveying whether something is an C# or a Db.

sorry, I have now an other problem: I cant upload my picture anymore
It says
Sorry, you can’t embed media items in a post.

???

If you look at my first screenshot in the lower systems you see that some octave chords above have an Eb and down have D# … thats what comes after importing the MIDI.

Why MIDI, because I have an olde Sibelius, that hasn’t MusicXML…

How old? The Dolet plugin is now free and works for Sibelius 5.1 and up. See Dolet® 6 Plugin for Sibelius 5.1 and later - MusicXML

As to your issue with posting more screenshots, the Discourse forum software expects you to do some reading before blessing you with certain posting privileges. See Understanding Discourse Trust Levels - you’re currently at Trust Level 0 and need to jump through a couple of hoops to attain Trust Level 1.

It’s Sibelius 6.1.0 I didn’t know of this plugin.
I’ll try to integrate it.
Thanks for the hint.

I read something about these levels, but didnt understand correct.
But it seemes to be a very good system!

I wanted to show you how the file looks in sibelius:
the 2 voice octave chords in Eb has, correct, the upper note Eb and the down note either…

OK, thank you for your informations and your patience, I will need a little time to integrate the plugin - and I try to figure out whether my problems stay with other MIDIfiles.
Until then
Axel

i was thinking of checking as well whether it was MIDI or XML export. It’s an oversimplification to say that XML keeps accidentals exactly as they are (indeed Sibelius exports double accidentals completely wrongly (a tone out when occurring more than once in the bar for instance) in certain situations with standard export. The Dolet plug-in has its own problems I found but not that particular one. To be honest, in Sibelius, I find the fewest headaches running the “respell uncommon accidentals” downloadable plug-in for the whole piece before export, though it may not be for the purist.

Apologies. MusicXML stores an accidental value and a note name. MIDI encodes a pitch number but leaves interpretation of that number entirely to the target application (Dorico in this case) - it has no way of indicating whether a pitch is supposed to be interpreted as a C natural, a B sharp or a D double flat.

It may be that Dorico isn’t doing an optimal job of interpreting MIDI, and it may be that the OP can achieve better results within Dorico’s Transpose dialog.

On the other hand, MusicXML will usually do a better job of translating notation from Sibelius to Dorico, though sometimes not a perfect job.

interesting! Sibelius have actually acknowledged that their MusicXML export is to blame for the wrong notes I’ve found but who knows what’s really going on… By the way, you don’t happen to know if there’s any way to get grace notes imported so they play back correctly? If it’s been discussed at some point (can’t find), then please refer me to the thread so I don’t drag this one off course.

That one’s not familiar to me, no. Start a new thread…:

thanks, I probably will do.

Grace notes are not currently imported from MIDI, but this is something we hope to address in a future version.

thanks, Paul — and with that you include MusicXML as regards playback? If that would work, it could save a lot of time.