Sibelius -> MIDI -> Dorico 3.5: only sharps in Eb

Could you clarify the question? Dorico does load grace notes from MusicXML, and they should play back. Do you have a case where that isn’t happening?

Dorico does indeed display grace notes from MusicXML correctly but always plays them to full length instead of as fast as possible – I’m talking here about acciaccaturas and not other types of grace notes which I use much more rarely. The VST library used is irrelevant (it works just the same with Halion) and the problem also occurs using the Dolet 6 plug-in, not just the standard Sibelius 7.1.3. musicXML export

I’ve just exported the trivial attached MusicXML from the latest version of Sibelius. Do the gracenotes play back correctly if you import into Dorico? They play as fast as possible here…gracenotes.musicxml.zip (2.8 KB)

1 Like

yes, this works fine so I created a single bar in my Sib 7.1.3 which also works. Now I’m really puzzled as every single example in all real Sib projects has failed. At any rate, there doesn’t seem to be an issue with Dorico.

Hey pianoleo you’re so busy here ;-))

Now I’ve tried many possibilities.
The conclusion of importing in Cubase or Sibelius and exporting XML and MIDI and importing in Dorico:
nothing matters, it is this what I recognized:

when I import a MIDI-File sometimes Dorico finds out “that needs a H flat” for the whole song. Sometimes it doesn’t think about a key.

But when I change the key maybe in F, then notes without any accidental before, change as expected, and sometimes notes with a b do it.
But never are changing notes having had the sharp sign since the beginning and vice versa with b notes.
So notes with any accidental at the beginning do’nt change here…

But I wonder if I have to do something with the following notes of a new key, because after inserting the key is blue.

Sorry for my dummy style …
Axel

I found, that the first grace doesn’t sound. I think it lays before the playingstart.

See Changing the pre-roll duration

if you start playback on a note with a grace note attached, it never plays. You just need to start playback a little before or, as pianoleo says, change the pre-roll if it’s right at the beginning of the piece.

Thanks you both,
I’ve seen this but thought preroll means to count in (that would n work either, right?) :wink:

by the way MY accidental-problem is not solved, but I wait until I can offer you a screenshot…

you should soon be “upgraded” with luck. When you can do a screenshot, I’ll certainly have a look as this is something which interests me as well. Did you find the grace notes to be OK with MusicXML Sibelius export by the way? I don’t yet understand why they work fine with me on a short test project but not with any real work I wrote in Sibelius as far as I can remember.

I’ve found a solution or workaround !!!

right click on a note → filter → all flattend notes
and then enharmonic change upper note or lower note !!

for you it’s not new, I know…

But dko22 would you please explane me your suggestion, I do not understand it

What I often find useful is to select a passage where you’d prefer flats to sharps is to use the “calculate interval” feature in the Transpose dialogue and select any sharp in the passage as the “from” and write the equivalent flat as the “to” --e.g D# and Eb. This will correct all the sharps in the passage. You can also choose the option “respell to avoid double and triple sharps and flats”

and where I can find “respell …” because I have to search for the german words…

`

This was an imported MIDI-File (ABBA-Song) as it looked “virgin” …
(the hilighted notes)

Then with Strg+K I added Dflat just to show you what I mean:
although in key Dflat there is a b for the note Gflat, but it still remains with the sharp-sign…

And in complicated mixed-key-arrangements I imported (no matter Mxml or MIDI)
it looks very disturbing…

“respell” is “umdeuten” which is the last line of the options. In your screenshot you are pointing to the “Intervall berechnen” – the main point of this is to take a note which is spelled wrongly according to the key signature such as using a # instead of b and put this in the first line and then in the second line put the note you want it to show instead. Dorico will then understand to recalculate all the notes which are wrong for your key signature. It’s not very obvious for a newcomer – I was also confused at first!

I have also used your solution on occasion and other one which I like for correcting the enharmonic spelling is simply to select a section which you are having the problems and press SHIFT+ALT+up arrow. This transposes everything up a semitone. Then do the same again except using the down arrow to transpose to where you started.

Are you allowed yet to post a score? For instance if you could attach a score with this ABBA extract, I could see if I can get it to show what you want.

I downloaded dolet-plugin, but even the install-file didnt start …

But for me it’s OK to export to MIDI, because I want to use the Dorico-features…

And I think my topic-title now is wrong, because I see the accidental-“issue” in every imported file (here: MIDI)

OK. When you add a key signature, Dorico doesn’t transpose anything automatically. When you add a key signature, Dorico doesn’t respell flats as sharps or sharps as flats automatically.

If your MIDI has imported with no key signature, or with the wrong key signature, you can enter the current correct key signature, then include that key signature in your selection, then go to the Transpose dialog.

Hopefully this makes it clear:

ScreenFlow

Hey nice !!
I did it like this BUT: I can’t select the key and notes together, and in the transpose-option the field for key-transpose is not activ (grey)
Oooh, my Doirico is damaged … ;-))))

The only thing you can’t see is that once I’ve selected the music itself, I then hold Cmd (Ctrl on Windows) while clicking on the time signature.

Another way of achieving the same thing would be to use the System Track, which is the grey bar along the top.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :wave: :wave:

thanks for your (both) patiens.
I’m still a bit stuck in Sibelius-thinking ;-)))

Now I know how to change strange accidentals from MIDI-files: first select the right key.
When the key changes (in my medley every song) I’do the process you discribed.
And when I want to select notes and key I have to add it to note-selection, because it’s not integrated.

And the whole thing has, in my case, nothing to do with Sibelius.
And I got some hints from you both.

thx
Axel

who closes the thread as “solved” ?

There’s a Solution button under each message. It’s up to you to pick your favourite message and click the button.

glad you’re getting there. And another thing which often confuses people— if you change the time signature, Dorico doesn’t always change the barlines either. It is fairly consistent in how it behaves but it’s often not what (ex) Sibelius users would expect. But let’s leave that for another time… :smiley: