Side by side docking of Project & Lower Zone (now Side Zone)

Thanks for the support everyone! I’m holding my breath for 9.5.

You’ll die.

+1 bring it on

+1
I was hoping it would be like that in Cubase 9, now I hope for it in 9.5

+1
but…

I really prefer Wavelab´s behaviour with it´s totally flexible docking window solution:

I also like Wavelab’s docking system, but my design is based around improving what’s already there.

I’m assuming that it would be a huge task to change Cubase to behave like Wavelab and that much of it would have to be remade from the ground up.

Aw, all the “thanks” are gone from this now. There were quite a lot!

It would also be nice to be able to close the inspector altogether, we’d have even more space. And of course to optionally have the volume fader in the inspector(like Digital Performer), than we don’t have to have the entire mixer open and we’d have more room to select tracks and clips in the main window on the left(based on your graphic).

You can already have the volume fader open in the Inspector (it’s in one of the tabs), and you can already close the inspector (“Left Zone”). Cool if you like the request though.

One more thing, in your graphic there are 2 toolbars, we need just one so that when the key editor is selected, we can select buttons(or press key commands) from the main toolbar

A merged toolbar could work in this case, it’s a pretty interesting idea.

Oh, sorry about that.
Yes, you’re design’s a beauty! I keep looking at it.

Just like when you open the Key Editor in the Seperate Window, than there’s also just one toolbar.

I’ve been thinking a little more about all this. Thanks for those mockups djw, but it’s saying to me that none of these fixed single-screen solutions work very well. When working on the laptop, I still far prefer a system of overlapping windows for mix, key editor and console, where each gives you a near-full screen for whatever you are working on, and each is a single click away.

I think Steinberg have spent a lot of development time on something that is far too restrictive, and is ultimately even if enhanced as suggested here, a poorer version of what we already have.

I’ve already test driven this in Reaper. I don’t know about your hardware, but on a proper sized display (an ultra wide in my case) it’s absolutely functional.

This doesn’t strictly have to be single screen either. My prefered setup would be the MixConsole on my lower screen and the project and Key Editor split on my top screen.

I’m using a MacBook Pro as my portable rig, and I can’t see it working well on that resolution - I really need pretty much the full screen for any of the windows I’m working on. As for the main rig, that’s 4x monitors - I don’t think I’d find a permanent split useful on any of those either really.

I think any improvement on floating windows would have to be dynamic in some way shape or form, something that expands when in use and retracts when not.

You make it sound like zone docking is a bad idea just because it doesn’t suit your personal setups of either a small screen or 4 screens. Very little of us users have the latter.

None of this is mandatory, remember. The functionality is most of the way there and isn’t going away, so I’d like it to be as useful as possible. It’s not going to be for everyone and that’s fine, since windows remain an option.

Just seen this and its definitely a + 1.
In the meantime, inspired by this, I’ve made a workspace I can call up to get the score editor, or the key editor, to fit into the right hand side.