Sidechain Compression Cubese Elements 11

Hello,

I’m trying to use sidechain compression to remove mic bleed in Cubase Elements 11.

I’ve got three voice channels - J / S /A

I have created three groups - J&S / J&A / S&A. The output of these is set to ‘No Bus’ because I don’t want to hear them anywhere, just use the signals to trigger the compressor.

I have sent the individual tracks to the groups that reference them. E.G. J is sent to J&S and J&A.

My intention was to use these groups as the sidechain input for the compressor. I can put a compressor on J and use S&A as the sidechain input.

The issue is once i’ve done this on one channel the other groups stop showing up as sidechain options for the other channels. E.G if I set S&A to the sidechain on track J then J&A doesn’t show up as an option for track S. BUT… If I haven’t set anything on the other tracks then J&A does show up as an option on S… But them if I select it the groups disappear as sidechain channels on the other groups again.

I’ve tried this with the stock compressor and also Waves Rcompressor.

Where am I going wrong? I feel like this should be quite simple. I’m almost at the point of giving up, going through all the channels and automating volume by hand…!

I don’t think it should be relevant but just in case - the output of the individual J / S / A tracks is set to a seperate group called Voices. That group is then sent to the Stereo Out bus.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi!
I believe the reason the groups become unavailable as a side-chain source is that Cubase does not allow feedback loops.
This is mentioned in the user manual here:

1 Like

Thank you. I kind of understand that.

It does open the question - in that case do you have an idea what the best way to achieve what I’m trying to do it?

You can duplicate source tracks and use them for keys.

Oh yeah. That is a great idea. I can just set them to not output and use them to trigger the side chains.

It would be annoying with a ton of tracks but with 3 speakers that only means 9 VO tracks total which is very manageable.

Annoyingly I already gave up trying and just automated everything by hand but I will 100% try this and see how it turns out next time.

1 Like