"Silence" as playback template exports all instruments as one MIDI track

Selecting “Silence” as a playback template collapses all players into one track upon MIDI export (meaning the entire score imports as one MIDI track in other programs). Is this a joke? They need to remain separate!

Why choose silence before exporting MIDI?

Blockquote Why choose silence before exporting MIDI?

Because Noteperformer will generate a dozen CCs I don’t need in the MIDI file.
“Silence” ensures that there are no stray CCs being made.

While true, I don’t think it is unique to silence- you get one multi instrument file on export (I’m not sure the correct term) and once you import, you have to map each channel to a different vst in your daw, or whatever you are trying to do with it.

BlockquoteWhile true, I don’t think it is unique to silence- you get one multi instrument file on export (I’m not sure the correct term) and once you import, you have to map each channel to a different vst in your daw, or whatever you are trying to do with it.

You are mistaken on the behaviour of the MIDI file export-
This is what happens to a full score as an example:

All of the parts from the original score have been collapsed into one MIDI track.
They do not appear as separate instruments upon import to other programs.

I think we are saying the same? That it is one file on export. What the receiving program does with it on import I suspect can vary. For some DAW at least (Studio One) You get one “Midi track’” on import that you then map as input to various VST manually.

No.
When I export using the Noteperformer playback template all of the parts will be embedded to the MIDI file as separate tracks, and import as separate parts/staves (In Nuendo, Notion or Dorico itself). It has nothing to do with the settings on the receiving end. It is happening at the Dorico export stage. Even the MIDI files are truncated in size when using the “Silence” playback template as export.

Here you can see the file size difference between the two playback template exports:

VV1’s observation is correct. If you apply the silence playback template and export to midi then everything will be exported into one file onto one track/one channel. If you use Noteperformer playback template every track gets exported into one file but different tracks/channels. This can be easily verified by re-importing the the previously exported midi into Dorico.

Instead of using the Silence playback template, use the HSSE (SE) playback template: that will export multiple channels but without any extraneous CC messages.

1 Like