Silly workaround(Cubase 11) for crash on load

I have a project that wil crash Cubase when I double click the song, or open it straight from the Cubase menu.
Silly workaround: open an empty song first, then load the crashing project. Now it works.
Learned this workaround in Cubase 10.x.
Using lots of third party plug-ins, MacOS 10.14

Hi,

Could you please attach the *.crash file?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

Cubase 11_2021-03-14-205609_iMac.crash (262.6 KB)

Hi,

The crash is in the

com.plugin-alliance.plugins.vst3.ADASTD1

plug-in.

Please make sure the plug-in is up to date. Or get in contact with the plug-in manufacturer.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My point is:
It only crashes if I open the song by double-clicking of or by using open… with no other projects open.
If I do ‘new project’ first, and then open the crashing file, all is fine.

This is not only with this particular plug-in, but with other plug-ins too.

That is something Steinberg should take care of, I think.

In fact, I would love a more robust ‘framework’ for 3rd party plug-ins. As it is now, it’s like there’s a critical mass of plug-ins. If you cross this line, things will get unstable. Reordering the same plug-ins will sometimes help, starting with an emtpy song, etc.

It’s not a question of lack of CPU, according to the Steinberg meter and MacOS Activity Monitor I have plenty left.

I also use Bitwig a lot, the problem is much less there. I can mix and match plug-ins to my heart’s content without ill effects. I have their plug-in manager set to ‘by manufacturer’.

BTW, I am using the latest/best version of my plug-ins for MacOS Mojave.

Best,

Zip

Hi,

How is your Preferences > VST > Plug-ins > Keep Plug-ins in Memory until the Application Quits settings, please? Is it enabled on your side?

Hi Martin,

Again, thanks for your reply.

This preference is ‘on’, it is enabled.

Best,

Zip

Hi,

Then my expectation is, if you create an empty project, something from the plug-in comes in (has been loaded). Then you close the project and open you real project, this part has been loaded correctly already. But if you open your real project straight, this “init” part is somehow missing/corrupted…

Does it sound logical?

What happens, if you disabled this option and create an empty project, close it and then open your real project? Does it crash? My expectation would be, it crashers.

Do you use any plug-in in the Control Room, please?

Hi Martin,

Exactly my thoughts. BTW, the new project is really empty, it’s not a template with lots of plug-ins.

Something goes wrong in the global init phase of Cubase.

What happens, if you disabled this option and create an empty project, close it and then open your real project? Does it crash? My expectation would be, it crashers.

Smart thinking. But this doesn’t change anything. Loading the offending file directly, crash. Opening an empty file first, all is fine. Also with the option off.

Not using plug-ins in the control room section in this particular project. I do use Sonarworks + Blue Cat rehead to correct my AKG 712 headphones, but not in this project.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Zip

Hi,

Do you use them in the Control Room? Control Room is not project-based, it’s global for all projects.

Actually, it is dependent on the setting in the Studio/Audio Connections/CR settings, no? Haven’t loaded the HP settings with the correction in this project. For good measure, I did load them in a new version without any change to the crash behaviour.

Thanks again for the support, Martin.

Hi,

Yes, it is. And this is global settings, not project-based.