simplify automation

pls The Idiots Guide to simple basic How Automation works …
Read the PDF files , understood some … still confused …
why the Write Read knobs???
sure there must be a gr8 valid reasons : why ??
Why could automation not be simply on the record knob ( as in normal Midi . Audio recording ) , like move the parameters when recording , tweak ( Edit ) Later on (edit Where ??) and over write if u need changes , like in normal recording mode… any one pls thankx s

Hello,

It has sense, there is R and W button for the automation. Btw: It’s common in all DAWs, I know.

Why isn’t here Record? Because if you have recorded data (MIDI or audio), and you want to mix, and make automation, you don’t need to record more audio/MIDI data. You want to “Record” or “Write” automation data. If there will be Record, you will record Automation data, and Audio/MIDI data too. What is nonsence. So, Write is like “Record automation”.

About the Read button, this is like “Play this track” button. If you switch the Read off, this automation will be muted. You will hear the track without automation.

You can overwrite the automation. And you have more optins, how to do this. These are the Touch, Auto-Latch, and Crossover options.

Best,

Consider this scenario.

I’m recording a band and I move the faders whilst recording, to improve the mix somewhat. Now if that also recorded my fader movements then I’d soon get into a good old mess. Try it, put all your tracks into write automation mode whilst you work. Everything you do gets recorded. You really want to have the main record and the automation record separate, the more you work with automation the more you’ll realise why.

Excellent , thanks Guys …
so when i press Write , then the automation record will start when i adjust any automation parameter… good , how about at a certain point of time, edit …example… like i want an strong echo/ delay only for the end bit of a vocal come in …
so when n where in time does that edit record / write in automation… do i have to play the track and do the edit as the song nears the end??? like i would do in normal record mode??? because i see it writes even when the song is not playing…
and now i want to over write that edit . so do i have to play the track and do the editing of parameters…in time for that edit as the track nears the end …
difficult , ok the song plays , the write is on , i reaching near the last end of song , i have to open menus to select the kind of delay effect , i am about to apply for the last word of the song… i could miss it , can i slow down the track n apply , the play back @ normal speed…
how does it compare to the record features …
i hope i could write that clearly … so thats its understandable… …s

You can edit all automation by hand if you want, dragging the nodes around.

yeah, automation writing is an exception to me, I’m almost always drawing.

Forgive me Guys , Just for Debate … there could have been a linked automation track below , like the midi channel lanes??? would that still interfere with the record…

Thanks ,well , how do u tell which part of the song u r in , while dragging the nodes around… what r / n where r , the nodes pls… and what node applies to what edit ???

If you have recorded automation on a track, rightclick that track and select show all used automation. You should get a number of lanes with all automated parameters nicely laid out along with the track. You can edit the automation line using the usual tools. The selection tool for selecting, resizing and dragging, the draw tool for creating new points.
If you haven’t recorded automation yet, click the little plus (might’ve changed to a downarrow in Cubase6, can’t remember) on the bottom left of the track to create an automation lane. Select the required parameter and draw any automation you want with the draw tool.

The greatest value obtained from any effects like automation is by using it as little as possible. The simpler you make the job the less you have to faff around with it.
Oil paint on canvas is not necessarily a painting.

I wouldn´t necessarily agree with that. Experimenting can´t hurt. If you decide to get rid of most of it at the end then that´s good as well. Don´t let that hold you back to try again next time.

Experimenting doesn’t hurt if the project is private and you’re doing research but for serious work it’s better not to experiment until the money men give you the say-so.
Knowing what you are doing is much better than “experimenting”. I don’t want the guy wiring up my house to say “Hey, I’m experimenting y’know. Pushing the envelope baby.” :mrgreen:
Less effort is mostly more. And “advancing” is mostly downwards before it goes forwards. If you don’t understand, ask a toddler. :mrgreen: Helping hands are much better than a nod of blind permission.

Obviously, but as the OP seems to have little experience, I did not expect him to be working on a paid project :wink:

Thanks Guys , Debate is healthy , any approach is good enough … experimenting is also gr8 , i get unexpected miracles while composing , something i would perhaps never have composed , also cool if u know ur client want a monotone routine… but experimenting learning is part of life … i learn from both u guys …all points of views … and thanks any way … i finally understood automation some thing i had put off 4 years…
thansk sgain…sam