Simplifying the expression maps

Hi,

I’m creating my maps for VSL’s Synchron Strings Pro. I’m starting from the map supplied for Cubase, adapting it to Dorico.

I don’t know if Cubase can use the combined techniques, as Dorico can do. The map for Cubase contains a single item for each patch in the preset. But I wonder if I can simplify, and reduce some of the technique definitions.

For example, many patches are of the “Normal attack”, “Soft attack”, “Normal release”, Soft release", “Cut release” type. These are variations of a base technique. These types are combined with other techniques, to make something like “Legato soft attack normal release”.

If I create individual techniques for the variations of attack and release, maybe I can then combine them with the base type when forming an expression map entry. Therefore, I would have something like “Normal+Soft Attack+Normal Release” as a combined entry.

Is this viable solution, of should I follow the original map for Cubase, and keep each case separate in a single entry?

My guess is that Cubase hasn’t the same preset techniques included in Dorico, therefore the authors of the original map had to reinvent them. In Dorico, I can rely on the more advanced primitives offered for the expression map’s creation.

Paolo

An additional note: as far as I can see, many of the converted entries should be changed to Dorico’s standard techniques. For example, one of the converted entries combines portamento and legato in the name. However, the underlying technique is only Legato, without Portamento. In Dorico, this should be a combined Legato+Portamento, or it wouldn’t work.

Paolo

Edit to myself: I am confusing the Name of the expression map’s switches with the underlying playback techniques. The former can have any name one likes, the latter have to be created and combined to supply for the missing techniques in Cubase.

Paolo