Simultaneous Record/Playback

I have WL6 and WL7 running on the same machine, using the same soundcard (Lynx Aes16).

In WL7 it is possible to play a file (from montage or wave workspace) and play a file being input through the recording dialog at the same time. In WL6, to hear file playback (while the record dialog is open), it is necessary to deselect the monitor function. Not so in WL7 - they play simultaneously. Soundcard preferences are set the same in 6 and 7.

Interestingly, 2 “hot” (loud) files (input and playback) with peaks near 0dBfs do not appear to distort the Lynx output. This is the cause of my concern. Is there some kind of limiting going on in the software interface?

Does anyone else experience this situation? With a different soundcard? Associates have had (minor) critcisms of WL7 playback when compared with WL6 playback. I’m trying to track that down.

Thanks,
BW

PG,

To clarify, this is not affected by the “stop playback when metering or recording” option in either WL6 or WL7.

In WL6 Monitor must be unchecked to hear Playback (Montage or Wave)
In WL7 Playback is mixed with the Input.

I am not necessarily complaining about this (it makes comparing input to already recorded material quite fast). I would like to understand if it is intentional and if it is possible that there is a slight degrading of the sound.

Thank You,

BW

In WL6 Monitor must be unchecked to hear Playback (Montage or Wave)
In WL7 Playback is mixed with the Input.

This change was done on purpose. There was complaints about this in 6.

There is no limiting, you would get clipping if the mix is about high levels.