Single Note Selection and Playback "Lag"

Hi, I very recently purchased Dorico. It’s been working pretty well so far, but I have two questions/comments about Write mode:

I have some very clustered chords in a piano piece that I’m writing. I want to edit a single note in the chords, but whenever I try to select one of the notes, it will select the notes around it as well. How do I individually select the note so I can modify its pitch?

Also,

When I press Space or P for playback, Usually the program will pause for a few seconds before playing. This can get very tiring. Is there any way to reduce this lag for a more seamless listen?

Thank you

Selecting individual noteheads can be a bit tricky at a low zoom level, because they have rectangular click areas, and in cluster chords those click areas can overlap. Zooming in makes this easier, because the padding is of a fixed size independent of zoom level. Really we need to vary the amount of padding along with the zoom level, which is something we plan to do in future.

What’s the size of your project? Depending on the number of instruments, length of the project, and the frequency of playing techniques, it can take a little while to figure out what will be played. This is also something we hope to improve in future, by having those calculations done in the background after every edit rather than when you initiate playback.

Alright, thank you for informing me about the zoom.

I’ve only just started my piano piece and it’s only on its second line.

What kind of hardware are you running on?

I’m running on a Late 2015 Macbook Pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7.

Also, I’m finding my piece somewhat littered with accidentals that shouldn’t need be implied. I’m wondering how to disable the auto accentation or remove them by macro or command.

Your MacBook Pro should be plenty beefy enough for a simple piano score. Can you send it to me so I can see what kind of delay I get when starting playback? You can email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

The options for automatic cautionary accidentals are found in the Notation Options dialog.