Slide-in guitar fingering

Slide-in guitar fingering works well joining up notes that are sequential and in the same bar.
However, I am having difficulty producing that which I have achieved previously with other programmes.

Here is a version with the ‘slide-ins’ for a passage…
and Dorico’s version below …

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to replicate the top version in Dorico?
(It’s not the length of the lines I’m worried about - just their existence)
I cannot get the ‘orange’ notes to show their approaching slide-ins.

1 Like

Seems both ‘from’ and ‘to’ notes need fingering applied.

I saw the short slides in one of the videos or help screens, but only when the note before is much longer than the one slid into.
That means that the program can do short slides, but it clearly is not what Andy has in mind, and I agree that a short slide into a note at the last minute (less gliss, more slid-arpegg.) would be an important addition.

I would be interested in anyone’s ideas on how to explain the requirements here clearly and concisely.

Craig F.’s suggestion is useful …
Seems both ‘from’ and ‘to’ notes need fingering applied.

Should the line be linked to the fingering number of the end-note?
One could always edit the line to change its length and angle ( I’ve been doing that for years in Sibelius though that line is not linked to fingering).
Derrek’s comment about short slides shows the program can do short slides.

One problem may be that the slide to the finger takes place many notes after the previous fingering notated. I like to indicate LH fingering no more that i think is helpful - so there might be a bit of a gap before the slide-in is shown.

One last comment - what do people call this line normally?!! A slide-in, a guide-line, a position change (though one sometimes ‘slides’ a finger without change of position).

Sorry if this is going on a bit but I feel it might be useful if we can get a consensus before putting it to Daniel and team.

If you want to see the stubby fingering slide rather than the one joining the notes together directly, you have a couple of options. One is to simply disable the kind that join notes altogether: on the Fingering page of Engraving Options, go to the Fingering Slides section, and set ‘Fingering slide behaviour’ to ‘At destination note only’. The other option is to reduce the threshold above which the slide is shown as a stubby line at the destination note only.

I think I prefer the stubby fingering slide. Thanks for that suggestion.
I still have a problem when there is no fingering on the preceding note unless it’s the same finger.
Whilst the slide-in works across bar lines, it resets the angle of the line; I haven’t found a way of correcting this yet in engrave mode.
fingering slides.dorico.zip (454 KB)

Set the string explicitly on the previous note, and then the slide will appear; you don’t have to show the fingering, but it does need to know that the notes are on the same string.

The angle of the stubby line cannot be adjusted independently in Engrave mode, but there are (I think) a couple of options for its length etc. in Engraving Options.

Oooh! that is so cunning! And logical.
Setting the string did the job!
I think that solves the problem.

I’m sure I can sort out the slide angle if I go back to Dorico 2 style techniques and use a crescendo hairpin set to ‘no opacity’ in full score and zero angle.

I have followed the instructions but can’t get Dorico (Elements 3.5) to display slide. I have edited the properties of the notes so that both are on the same string and the same finger but still when I edit the second note with a ‘slide in’ property, nothing displays on the score. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum, @mcvittym. It would be easiest to diagnose the problem if you could attach the project in which you’re having the problem, if you don’t mind doing so.

No problem! See bar 79, attempting to slide into the C on the bass part, third note of the bar. Maybe you could also explain why in the same bar the open hi-hat doesn’t sound open? Thanks
Here’s a link to the file:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArAXANm40CHbiI5A2UJz6jIKfgzFog?e=FdhCOd

Hi mcvittym
I downloaded your file but could see no fingering.
I tried adding some fingering and a slide in bar 79 (see below) and it seemed OK.
I think I may have misunderstood you?
2020-12-29 15-16-10_Little Shoes.dorico.zip (633.8 KB)

Andy I added the fingering to my original file (which indeed was missing - sorry!) but it still will not display the slide. The file you sent me was ‘created in a later version of Dorico’. Could it be that my version is capable of displaying the slide but not creating it? Did you add anything else other than fingering to my file?

I did change the Engraving Options-> Fingering-> Fingering slides->Fingering Slide Behaviour to ‘at Destination only’. Also I increased the length of the line and distance from the note (under advanced options). Without that, and without moving the finger number under Engrave mode , the slide can difficult to see.

I don’t think I have ‘engraving’ as a function in the elements version, do I?

Yes, now that you point it out I can see a bit of a slide line in my project (although I don’t hear a slide on playback)

I think the only way to get a slide sound is to use the gliss. option on the Ornaments panel.
(or one of the specific guitar options? I haven’t used these since I only do ‘classical’.)

And, no, unfortunately only Pro has the engrave functionality: :cry:

1 Like

I saw the short slides in one of the videos or help screens, but only when the note before is much longer than the one slid into. That means that the program can do short slides, and I agree that a short slide into a note at the last minute would be an important addition.

Hi Yanti - welcome to the forum.
I nearly always use the short, destination only slides (though I do make the default longer).
Unfortunately, without Pro’s Engrave mode, these slides frequently hide within the preceding note and cannot be moved away. As you pointed out, the slide is clearly visible with a longer preceding note.