Slip editing slips the wrong take when Group editing with takes

Hello fine gentlemen! I’ve been bummed about this “feature” for awhile, and it turns out that it is definitely a bug and not the intended result.

COMPUTER AND OPERATING SYSTEM: Cubase 12 Pro 12.0.7.464 Macbook M1, but it doesnt matter, this happens on every computer, Win or Mac, on every version of Cubase I’ve ever used, and has been happening for as long as I’ve had Cubase (at least 2 years)

SCENARIO: Comping and Slip editing Grouped Multi-tracked drums with multiple takes. All Drum Tracks are in a Drums Folder, and Group Editing is on. Doesn’t matter if Phase Coherency thingy is on or off, the bug remains.

PROBLEM: Sometimes, when slip editing a take, Cubase will slip the wrong take on the other tracks within the folder. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE FIRST 3 TAKES ARE INVOLVED.

VIDEO EVIDENCE: In this first gif, Slip editing is working as expected. With the Comp Tool, I have TAKE 5 (BLUE) chosen. I decide to slip edit TAKE 4 (ORANGE) and all the other tracks within the group slip Take 4 as expected.
CleanShot 2023-10-26 at 07.56.50

In this Instance, I attempt to Slip edit TAKE 3 (LIGHT BLUE), and TAKE 1 (RED) gets slipped for all the other tracks. Obviously this will ruin the ability to use both TAKE 1 and TAKE 3 for the rest of the track… less than ideal!
CleanShot 2023-10-26 at 07.59.59

Slipediting works as expected for every take after Take 3, no matter how many takes I am using. Its just Takes 1-3 that have this most unpleasant behavior. This is why I have not been able to use Cubase for tracking and comping drums. I’ve had to use Reaper :frowning: for tracking and editing drums, and then export the files into Cubase for mixing.

@Martin.Jirsak Any chance we can get this fixed so I can finally set Reaper out to pasture where it belongs? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

1 Like

Hi,

Would you be willing to provide a sample project, please? You can share the link via Private Message to me.

From the video, I don’t see the track list, for example to see the relation among the tracks.

Thank you

PM sent, and thanks for the response!

Hey @Martin.Jirsak I was just wondering if you were able to download the project I sent you and were able to see the bug that I’m experiencing? Have a great day!

By the way, the exact same bug is in Cubase 13, so it hasn’t been fixed yet