Slow input in v.1.1

I’ve read a lot of posts about slow midi input on Dorico but I haven’t been able to determine how much this has been improved in version 1.1. I’m experiencing this issue myself but being a new user I can’t tell if it’s better than it was before or not. I know it’s not RAM because I’m barely using half of what I got and it’s still slow. I also know it’s not the size of my score because it’s just 11 pages. Also, if it were a RAM problem, the whole program would be slow, not just note input, right?

I can hear the notes as soon as I press the keys (I know this is an improvement from last version) but for them to appear on the screen, it takes some time. And if I input a whole passage very quickly, I then have to wait a few seconds until it gets notated.

I’d like to know if this is also happening to other users of the new version.

Antonio

Are you on a Mac or Pc?

I have quite a powerful Mac, and I do not have this problem. Not sure how a lesser Mac would fair. But I do know that since 1.0.1, speed has greatly been increased and continues to increase with each update.

Robby

I experience this as well, there is a delay when entering the notes but also when entering lyrics. I am playing the notes on the keyboard slowly and wait after every syllable in the lyrics before entering the next one, otherwise some will be left out.

My Mac is an iMac Mid 2010, Processor 2,8 GHz Intel Core 15 with 16 GB

Try turning off “attachment lines” in the view menu.

I’m on a Mac - iMac, to be precise - with almost the same configuration as your second Mac. My chip is also i5 but I have more RAM (8gb). If you refer to your Mac Pro, then surely with 12 cores and 64gb I doubt you would experience any lag in note input. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll try that tonight.

Yes, that is precisely what happens to me. Forgot to mention about the lyrics. Same problem.

I’m trying to figure out if perhaps Dórico requires a more powerful machine because, if that’s the case, then I have to consider upgrading my hardware.

I guess in going back and looking at it, there is a very small lag on my Mac Pro. But only by fractions of a second.

I’m curious as to what kind of delay/lag you are experiencing?

Robby

I’m experiencing a slight lag, more like: «how on earth is this application ever going to cope with real-time input?» kind of feeling…

I’ll make a screen capture tonight and post a Google Drive link so you can see.

Interestingly, I tried inputting notes in a new empty score and also in a string quartet piece I transcribed when I installed the trial version, some months ago, but didn’t experience any lag. Then I tried with an xml file of an orchestral piece and there was some lag but not like the one I’m experiencing in the project I’m working on right now. This score has 23 players and it’s 11 pages long while the orchestral piece has 38 pages and just as much players.

I made a screen capture where you can see how slow note input is in this score. Here’s the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ZTAUvXhOcbZjRHbnNqRmJHQUE/view?usp=sharing

You can see in the video that other operations, such as inputting slurs and hairpins, zooming in and out and inputting text don’t produce any lag at all.

The Activity Monitor shows I’m using about half my RAM (if only Dorico is open). On the other hand, CPU usage while inputting notes spikes up to almost 90% or even 100%.

By the way, I tried turning off attachment lines and it was the same. I can only say it doesn’t occur in scores with just a few players. It doesn’t seem to be related to the amount of information (notes, etc.) present in the score (because my orchestral score has much more information and note input is not as slow there as in this new score).

Antonio
P.S.: I’m running Dorico on a late 2013 iMac, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Wow!!! That is some serious lag.

I am not an expert, but I know that Daniel and the team are looking into what causes this kind of stuff. You might want to send them the file, and reference this thread for information. I am shocked it is that long of a lag.

Robby

Yes, it’s pretty annoying. I’m still able to work, though. Just gotta be a little patient.

Oh, I’d gladly do that but do you think it’s ok if I just send it? Don’t want to bother anyone. Besides, I wouldn’t know where to send it anyway.

Hello,
Herre via midi the notes and the sound are very quick: great!
but with the keyboard’s computer it’s not practicable with sound on and in looking the monitor because too much delay(i.e if I write cdefgfedc I hear the first c when I’m writing the f so I have allways the impression to do mistakes) but if I put off the sound I’m not really annoyed…but it would be better to have the sound :wink:
(Motu asio 6ms)
Best regards
Dup

Antonio, please do send me your score. Either zip it up and attach it here, or email it to d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

Just did. It should be in your mail. I hope it helps you find the cause for this behaviour. Thanks for everything!

UPDATE: I have been able to reduce the lag considerably by increasing the buffer size of the audio device. For anyone else having this problem, just go to Edit>Device Setup>Device Control Panel and increase the buffer size. You may have to test different sizes. Also, you need to close and reopen Dorico for the change to take effect. It doesn’t solve the issue completely but makes it much more tolerable.