Slow Input

Hi

I’m working on a score, but input of notes or anything else is very slow. At least 1 to 2 seconds to see the new entry in my score.
I use VSL Prime Edition.
My Computer runs with Windows 10 with 64 GB ram.

Someone can help. It’s extremly difficult to write like this

Patrick

Can you say a bit more about your project? How large is it? Do you find the performance any better if you switch to a different playback template, e.g. HSSE+HSO (Pro) or Silence?

Hi Daniel.
I tried out different Play templates, Always the same.
The Score have 30 Instruments & Choir

I’ve had similar issues when using the lock feature in write mode (galley view) and a midi keyboard (komplete kontrol). When I’m done playing in the replacement notes it’s a good two or three seconds before the screen reflects the changes. Entering text or making edits (eg. moving a note up/down) have no delays. None of the delays seem related to sound. I’m also on Windows 10, 64gb, nvidia gtx 1050. My scores are mostly organ or piano. I figured it might be because I had multiple flows (50+). I find in setup mode if I select just the flow I’m working on things go faster.

I Have only 1 Flow.

Do you have any midi devices connected - keyboards, for instance? If so, does Dorico speed up if you unplug said devices?

(Occasionally faulty MIDI keyboards can overwhelm Dorico with constant MIDI messages.)

1 Like

I have now created a new score template.
Now it works.
(?)

I don’t think it is flows. I’m also unable to replicate any of the delays I had in the past whether with many flows or only 1 flow. I lean toward what pianoleo said about midi devices. It could also be a program running in the background in windows.

Hi there,
I have a serious problem with note input. At one point, for no apparent reason, it becomes unworkably slow. Making the caret appear takes about 3 seconds, selecting a note length with the keyboard, the stream deck or selecting it in the panel takes another 3 seconds and entering a single note takes another 3…
I had that problem with earlier Dorico 5 versions, but I thought it had to do with the size of the score I was working on. But now, it happened again with a five instruments and 50 bars long score.
Changing the playing template to silence doesn’t give any results. I’m on a iMac late 2013 running Catalina but my drive is a ssd. My sounds are on a slave computer.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (831.8 KB)

It looks like everything was running at an expected speed until the evening of 29 December. You had a crash at that time. Since then, things seem to be significantly slower. I can’t give you a good reason for this. Have you tried restarting your computer?

Actually the crash occurred after note input had slowed down. Maybe an hour after. And yes, I had rebooted everything before and after the crash to no avail.
The weird thing is that I cannot see any reasons why it just stops working probably. It’s like if something gets stuck and the file gets corrupted.

If you work on a different project, do you find the input speed normal? If so, please attach the troublesome project here, or send it to me privately, and tell me where in the project you’re finding input to be particularly slow.

Hi Daniel,

I just found out that disconnecting and reconnecting VEpro 7 makes it right again. The bug seems to come from there. Everytime it happens, Dorico cannot not see the connected instances of VEP anymore after I disconnect them. I need to close VEP and reload and reconnect everything. So I have no idea if the problem comes from Dorico or VEP.

The problematic file seems also anomaly large at 4,5 Mo (quartet with baryton, less than an hundred bars) even after saving it in silence with everything disconnected. I also have an other file for orchestra with sudden and significant increase in size. Version 2 of the file is 14 Mo and version 3, with more music but not that much, is 28 Mo.
I’m having problem sending you the quartet file, maybe I have the wrong email. I’ll try to send it to Ulf so he can transfer it to you.
Thanks,
Québ

When you save a project, Dorico will save the complete state of all VST instruments that are referenced by the project, so that it can restore those settings when you reopen the project later on. If you’re using a fixed configuration in VE Pro, then it’s wasteful to save this into your Dorico project every time you save. It’s better in that case to use “decoupled mode” in VE Pro, which means that VE Pro won’t send over all of its data to Dorico when you save your project in Dorico. This will make your project much smaller and make saving faster. But you do have to remember to save your VE Pro configuration manually when you make changes in VE Pro, and remember to load that configuration into VE Pro when you open that project in Dorico.