slow & not smooth GUI

I think the vertical line of the scissor tool makes it redraw a lot of the events on screen.

Im thinking problem with slow GUI can be solved if cubase runs bypassing DWN.exe (windows only)
i found when i using scissor tool, most loaded GPU process is DWM.exe
DWM in windows 10 forced vsync to all applications, and it eats all of your fps. (doesn’t care if u turned off inside Nvidia driver)

1 Like

You can’t disable dwm.exe it is part of windows 10. If you do the screen will turn black for a moment and dwm will be restarted by a service. What you can do is disable any HDMI audio that is going thru the gfx card. Also shadowplay can have an impact, and should be turned off when not in use.

1 Like

Hi Peakae,

How does one turn off Shadow Play?

ShadowPlay is a video capture feature on nVidia cards, that is disabled by default.
I use it to make tutorials, and have no problem using it, but it obviously uses resources.

Hello,

thanks for all the posts, this helps understanding the whole picture. Let’s sum up the current status.

The issue reported by djw ((Fixed in 9.0.20) Key Editor scroll freezes when mouse moved - Cubase - Steinberg Forums and on page 1 of this very thread) was tracked as CAN-7161 and is fixed in 9.0.20. The mouse tracking has been optimised and no freezes should occur.

Also in 9.0.20, CAN-7247: this has to do with redrawing of the project window and might positively affect other areas.

These are both already implemented in the current beta.

As stated previously, there are more tasks to be be included in the same build, including improvement of the Inspector redraw and other tasks related to tooltips and mouse-over / highlight. All this should make for a much smoother experience for those suffering from these issues. Fixes for the issues mentioned about Frequency are also included in 9.0.20 (these are also to due tooltips improvement, as far as I understand).

I look forward to see how this will work for you. There are intensive tests for further improvements planned for later updates as well, development will probably review the various possibilities after evaluating the impact of the current fixes and improvements.

Thanks again!

Well, thanks to you too Fabio, for continued attention and feedback that you share for us all here. It is appreciated.

About the above specifically - do you talk about this issue as being one of those addressed in 9.0.20…?:-

Thanks for any further insight,
Bob

Thank you Fabio
This is what I call good support.

Thank you Fabio…

hello Fabio! this are great news, thank you! can’t wait to tested!

also, can this mean zoom in/out in project window, with alots of Audio tracks will be more faster?

@djgraver: I believe so, but we’ll see to which extent it helps there as well.
At the moment there are quite a few linked / duplicated tasks, so it’s not very easy to have full overview without having an insight on the actual code changes.

@Puma: I was referring to the issue pointed out by Detch and confirmed by Janko, also GUI related.
The noise with Frequency is known by the dev, who is looking into that as well.

So nice to hear all this! Looking forward to the next update

probably this GUI changes also will fix focus bug.
here loosing Focus in Right Zone 9.0 - 9.5.40 - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Thanks for the info Fabio. Looking forward to the update.

Awesome, great work! I had my doubts after the forum restructuring, but all my faith has been restored.

This looks like a completely separate one. I’m going to check if it is tracked and add it to the system if it is not.

Keep 'em somewhere safe for future use, you never know :laughing:

Kidding aside, this turned out to be a very useful thread, thanks again everyone.

In today’s headlines: “Fabio single-handedly increases user happiness by infinity percent”

Any news on release date for 9.0.20 update?

I feel Cubase have chunky GUI - version 7 was the last smooth one.
Although Steinberg team fixed major issues with 8.5.2 update, and I’m glad they took into account all the reported bugs. C9 made progress but still feels chunky in many situations, regardless how power your computer or graphic card is. Compared to Ableton, FL studio etc. it’s obvious that GUI should be re-coded for something way smoother.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Cubase and is very powerful DAW and maybe the best one - if only they can sort it out (GUI) for better and pleasant workflow. :slight_smile:

Sorry, not up to me to announce releases. It’s close, but not imminent, that’s all I can say.

Not getting you wrong, but I’ll state again that users experience vary a lot, how issues affect different systems and users vary as well and the perception of the origin of the issues is not always correct. Actually, Cubase 7 was the most problematic version of all on the GUI side, despite you didn’t experience it - also, many seem to think that a ‘re-coding’ is needed, when part of GUI has undergone re-factoring also in Pro 9 (the two fixes mentioned above are indeed meant to overcome a resources usage increase due exactly to this). Improvements are always needed, and I’m very active on this, but assuming there is something wrong on the software architecture side is simply not the case.

Yes, I noticed Cubase 9 has somewhat snappier GUI and better overall performance - so thanks Steinberg team for doing good job. :smiley: So far, C9 had zero crashes and I also noticed improved CPU usage/VST performance. It’s most stable version so far.

I didn’t work much in C7 but zooming in/out and scrolling through project was noticeable smoother - same computer, same project. Also, MIXER fader graphic didn’t have lag on heavier projects. Did all the recommended Bios/Settings stuff for tweaks; no change.

Nevertheless, newer ASIO GUARD (C8) and all other implemented features (C9) justify upgrading - there is no doubt here. I hope new updates will increase GUI smoothness.