Slow playback, can't change buffer size.

I’m having a pretty serious issue with Cubase LE AI Elements 7, I’ve recorded the first couple sections of a song, it has two guitars tracks, a bass track and a vocal track, and a vst instrument track for the drums.
My problem is that when I try to listen back or record a new part, the playback is really slow and the signal breaks up with a sort of crackly distortion. I’ve read some stuff about changing the buffer size or sample rate, but when I go to the control panel in device setup my buffer size is at 10 mls and won’t go higher and my sample rate is 44.1 khz and won’t go lower.
I do have a lot of inserts on my guitar and bass track, and if I mute and freeze all tracks and deactivate all inserts I can just about get normal playback on one active track.
I’m using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on Windows 10 64bit.
I have no idea what I can do about this(I’m still a bit new to it all), I’d really appreciate any help with this problem, thanks a lot.

Hi and welcome,

Make sure the Sample Rate of your Audio Device is also set to 44.1, please.

:bulb:

Yeah, my project setup in Cubase and my device’s settings are both 44.100 khz and 16 bit. I tried listening through my computer’s basic audio driver with earphones and got exact same playback, although now I can get normal playback when I turn off the inserts on just my guitar tracks, which both have the same inserts. Maybe the inserts I have on are using too much CPU power?

Update, I just tried it again, and it was totally fine, totally normal playback with all the effects on. I feel like it might go again but right now its working perfectly.