Sluggish zooming in C5, new graphics card needed?

I don’t know if my memory serves me right, but I’ve got a feeling that for every new version of Cubase, the graphics performance when working with lanes has been worse and worse. I’m quite sure that many years ago, I could record quite a few multiple lane tracks and work with them without any trouble at all, this was SX 3, and my trusty old Pentium D 3.2 GHz with 2 GB ram and a Nvidia 6600 graphics card. C4 was a bit worse and with C5 it’s hard to work with anything more than 3-4 lanes for a 7 track drum take.
At this point however, my system started to fall short on overall performance so I decided to to upgrade (see specs in signature) but to save a few € I decided to keep my old GC, I mean, 2D graphics, how hard can it be?

Well, obviously it is, now everything is running smooth, except the zooming issue, this happens when zooming in beyond the transition from “blurry” to “sharp” waveforms. There’s no difference between showing and hiding the lanes either.

So I have two questions

1. What might be the cause of this “degradation”, has the graphics handling in Cubase been shifted gradually with GC improvements to take more load of the processor? At least I cannot detect any groundbreaking new features in waveform display/zooming that would account for such a problem.

2. What would be the ultimate graphics card to use with Cubase today? I don’t care about 3D performance but it should have good video performance, dual montior support, rock solid drivers, PCIe, single or dual height, future proof for at least 5 years (well, hard to know maybe) and preferably passive cooling.

Thanks/A