Slur accent weirdness

I have a whole note tied to a half tied to an eighth.
The whole note has an accent, input before the other notes or ties.
If I use the scissors to break the ties, all three notes gain accents.

?

That’s what happens to me too; I think Dorico is designed that way.

Yes, Dorico is maintaining the properties of the single note when it’s split using the scissors tool.

Could this be fixed (at some point)? I can’t recall any situation that would require this.

Dear Steve,
I do not feel this behavior has to be “fixed”… but still, you could ask for a different behavior as an option :wink:

Semantics, Marc…! :wink:
I can’t see a reason for something to appear on the screen (with the consequent doubletake), because you’ve cut something else.
Is there a situation where this is expected and useful?

I was just wondering the same, but in both cases! I guess that being not obvious has forced the team to choose a behavior better than another, but if there is a best choice I’d be happy to know (just out of curiosity)!

Well… the case for not having accents appear is that they’re unexpected and have not been specified.

Not really, Steve: the accent is a property of the note, and you’re splitting that note in two. How are we to decide which of the resulting notes should keep the accent and which should not? The note could have been a chain of tied notes, in which case the accent could, per engraving options or a property override, be found at either end.

I’d respectfully like to push back… the engraving options will tell Dorico if the accent was at the front or the back…
But… that option makes common (in the sense of most usual) sense for tenutos or staccatos, but an accent makes sense as an articulation at the start of the chain (apart from in certain C20 scores). I’m not sure you’re really saying that it is ambiguous.

It’s possible for you to make it ambiguous by mucking about with the options and/or the properties. Dorico tries to maintain the properties of the original note when you split it into two bits. You could certainly be forgiven for thinking that the note is actually already in multiple bits that happen to be joined by ties, but as you know that’s not how Dorico thinks about such a thing: it’s still just one note under the hood. We think it’s useful to maintain the properties of that note in both of the resulting notes. If there is a growing clamour from your fellow users to change this, then of course it’s something we could consider changing in future, but it has to compete for our attention with the many other things we could spend our limited time on.

but it has to compete for our attention with the many other things we could spend our limited time on.

This is the best point!