Slurs Engraving option 'Vertical offset from notehead on line'

Engraving Options > Slurs > Endpoint positioning > Vertical offset from notehead on line.
The situation is as illustrated in this engraving option, but when I change this value, nothing happens. Isn’t this strange?
Slur Vertical offset from notehead on line Bug?

Slur Vertical offset from notehead on line Bug?.dorico (365.8 KB)

When I lower the notes to the middle staff line, the value is reflected.
Slur Vertical offset from notehead on line Bug?2

See…

Particularly the last sentence.

1 Like

3 spaces - the Vertical offset from notehead on line - is greater than 1/2 space: the Minimum gap inside slur to avoid collisions.

I’ve no idea if there’s a bug in the functionality or if the explanatory text is incorrect, or if there’s some additional factor.

The Vertical offset from notehead on line value will only be used for end points of slurs positioned inside the staff. When the slur end points are outside the staff, the Minimum gap inside slur curvature to avoid collisions value is used instead.

1 Like

OK. Understood (I think). That said the example shows notes where this adjustment will never apply, which is a tad confusing!

Meanwhile, the Vertical offset from notehead in space option seems to apply wherever the endpoints are…?

Actually if the Vertical offset from notehead in space is set to 3 spaces (in the OP’s file), it seems to take precedence.

This is both of those Vertical offsets set to 3 spaces:

…and this is with Vertical offset from notehead in space set to 3spaces, and Vertical offset from notehead on line set to 1/2 space:

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 9.15.23

In this picture in engraving option, slur endpoints are outside the staff, right?
Is this picture appropriate for this option?

In the situation of the first GIF I posted in OP, the Vertical offset from notehead in space option seems to be working. But…

If I do it, I won’t get the same result as @pianoleo. When the notes are lower than the middle staff line, the Vertical offset from notehead on line option seems to be working like GIF below. It’s strange.

Vertical offset, in space 3, on line 0.5

Vertical offset, in space 3, on line 0.5.dorico (366.1 KB)

I also made examples like these below, with Vertical offset from notehead in space set to 3 spaces, and Vertical offset from notehead on line set to 1/2 space.

slur vertical offset comparison.dorico (371.4 KB)

The results are inconsistent between up-stem cases and down-stem cases. I’m not sure what the rules are for which option will be used in which case.
To me, the results in bars 14-18 seem to reflect both options correctly.

No, probably not! I’ll make a note to change this at some point in the future.

Thank you for your support.
In addition, it would be nice if you could review the difference in slur behavior between up-stem case and down-stem case.