Slurs in playback

Hello!

I am doing my first score in Dorico 3.5SE and I have input several slurs in the score, but they are not respected in playback. i.e the 2nd of the tied notes re-triggers. Please advise how I can have the slurs reproduce in playback. thank you,

What library are you using for playback? Have you set up expression maps? Have you changed any settings in Playback Options?

It sounds like you maybe want ties but have input slurs? They’re not the same thing: ties represent a single note notated with multiple notes, such as when a note spans a barline. Slurs represent phrases or legato notes.

For inputting ties, see here :slight_smile:

opps! :slight_smile: yes I am referring to ties :slight_smile: Please see attachment. I believe I have the ties input correctly… but the issue persists. Maybe its the expression maps as Dan suggests?

No, those are slurs, which you add by pressing S. Instead, press T.

Hi Dan - I was wondering how you can tell. Is it that the arc in ties is flatter?

Ties are flatter, and closer to the note heads.

Thanks Rob.

Thank you Rob. I´ve now tried using the T command instead and when I do that it is changing my note grouping. Please see the screenshots and please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 2.35.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 2.36.21 AM.png

Dorico is smart, and tries to make the notes display based on the settings you have. You can either fiddle with note groupings in Notation Options, or you can press O before you press T (to turn on Force Duration).

Magic! thank you! :slight_smile:

In addition to the per-flow note/beam grouping options in Notation Options (Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-N), you can also specify note/rest/beam grouping within time signatures.

In cases where you have similar rhythms in multiple bars, this can work out much easier/faster than using force duration. Likewise if you have a piece where e.g. some players are in 3/4 but others are in 6/8, you can give those with 6/8 independent time signatures that automatically group their notes/rests appropriately without having to rebeam everything. (You can also hide any time signatures you’ve input for beat grouping purposes but don’t want to appear in the music.)