Slurs not producing legato effect

Created a short, exploratory WW project of only TWO measures. Playback and dynamics seem to work, but the inputted slurs do not connect crochets/quarter notes to produce a legato effect. Another short exploratory project for strings and a third for brass did not have this problem. Using Write mode only for learning purposes.

Jack

Take a look in Play mode in “played durations” mode. You should see that the thick lines representing the notes’ played durations do overlap each other. Which specific instruments are you writing for?

Hi Daniel,

Exploratory WW example (two measures) is attached. All instruments (Fl, Ob, Cl, Bsn) show same results as flute when viewed in Write mode, “Played Durations.” Can’t understand why slurs do not respond as indicated.

My 30-day trial period ends today (Sunday, July 30). I applied for Dorico crossover purchase from Finale with proof of ownership last Friday and, to date, have not heard from Steinberg. Perhaps the weekend slows things down.

Thanks for your help,
Jack

You should hear back about your crossgrade verification tomorrow – the people responsible for verifying crossgrades don’t work at the weekends, but I’m sure they will clear whatever backlog there is early tomorrow, German business hours.

You’re quite right about the woodwind slurs, which is something I had not noticed myself. It looks like the default VST Expression Maps for the various woodwind instruments do not have the legato playing technique set up properly. I will see about getting this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you Daniel. Absolutely love Dorico’s support team. Very knowledgeable and with expedient replies.

Jack

Daniel,

Steinberg online shop responded Monday and I now have a purchased copy of Dorico on my desktop with new activation code. Confused about how to delete trial version and install new download or, convert trial version using new activation code. Queried this subject, but no titles close to it at the Forum. When I purchased Dorico, I had only one choice and that was to download Dorico with new activation code. What to do?

Jack

Please disregard my previous post regarding “activating” my new Dorico purchase after my 30-day trial period expired. I never thought to try to open Dorico after the trial period ended, but when I finally did, I saw that my new activation code which was received after finalizing the sale transaction could be entered to convert the trial version to an owner’s version.

Apologies for not being aware of this procedure before buying Dorico.

Jack

Great – glad you’re up and running now, Jack. I’m still working on the problem with the legato playback for woodwind instruments and will report back.

Daniel,

Just found this short, exploratory Basson and FrHrn score which was created within one or two days of my WW examples above. It shows the Bassoon is adhering to slurs as evidenced in its Play Durations screenshot. How can the Bassoon work properly with the FrHrn, but not with other WW alone? Thought this might be of interest to you in your search for the Play Durations not working in my original WW score.

Jack