Small chord inputting issue -- "natural"

I’m typing in chord symbols, and all has been going fine. But just now I’ve got an F#6/D, that, when I get Dorico to generate a chord, gives me a Db; same if I spell it Gb6/D. I can’t find the info to tell me what I need to type for a natural?

I’m not sure I understand you. Someone else might know exactly what you mean but until they come along, can you attach your project?

It’s really simple: just picture a natural symbol after the D.

This appears to be a situation the developers didn’t consider as there’s no popover syntax for this, nor a properties checkbox. I’ve only needed this for clarification a few times, and have just done it manually in Engrave.

There’s also a bug with this where you actually need to delete the root in the Edit Chord Symbol Component window, then re-add it, then add the natural. If you just try to add the natural to the root, it doesn’t update in the score. It’s just a bug, but if you expect it, you’ll just delete the root in that window rather than trying multiple times to edit it.

2 Likes

Thanks Fred. I suspected that maybe the issue lay there; also that maybe there are alternative ways of spelling the chord.

This is a chord imported from Cubase, and I just adjusted the D manually.

Which version of the chord do we want here?
chordTest

What I got from the former was this
– I didn’t enter bass notes, but I think that’s the same as your first, Derrek. I changed the chord spelling as you suggested and got this
which is what I was looking for/expecting, in terms of the pitches present. Interesting (to me at least) that the dispositions are quite different between the two.

I am not understanding a chord with both C♯ and D♯, over D♮.
(And apparently Dorico doesn’t understand it either.)
How does this “chord” function?
At a certain point a collection of tones goes beyond being a chord to being a cluster.

Don’t think jazzpop, think Satie. Call it a cluster if you like.

Cool – (but then why use chord symbols?)

to get things I made in Cubase into Dorico

It’s uncommon but not overly so I suppose. The example I posted above is basically the first two bars of Tacit Dance, and is really E6/C as it contains both C# and B over a C root. (Melody is E pentatonic)