Small suggestion: turn off “Flow Headings” by default (or if you only have one Flow)

Mipi, I also work in a lot of single flow projects, and in projects where I only want flow titles, without flow numbers and project title.

I too miss the previous behavior, but in reality, I only need 15 seconds to get to that, so I wonder if some of your steps are redundant. My layout options are set to show no flow heading by default, and use ‘First’ master page for any flow starting at top of page.

To get the title as desired, the quickest way is to change the project title in the project info dialog. For multi-flow projects where you only want the flow title to appear, edit the ‘First’ master page to use {@flowTitle@} instead of {@projectTitle@}. IIRC, both ways will give you the same text size and spacing as the old behavior.

As a new user coming from Sibelius - the Flow idea has also caused me serious confusion and getting them turned off first in Full score and then figuring how to do it in parts also took me a good bit of reading and fiddling. I cant see myself ever needing more than one flow per song (I write parts for generally modern music productions and classical crossover… unless someone asks me to write a medley or something.

What was the design decision that makes flows a default ‘on’ concept?

Song titles for a musical or opera, movements of a quartet or symphony or any other multi-movement work, a collection of songs or pieces, a series of exercises…

None of this is working for me. I can’t seem to get rid of the flow title in all my parts. I am trying to set up a template to use for orchestral work and I simply can’t get rid of this. I have set the show flow title to Never, can’t save it as default because it’s greyed out for some reason. I was able to get rid of it on the Violin I by using a blank Flow header but in all other parts it won’t go away. The flow header I created won’t apply. Side note I can’t get any of the master pages to apply to any other parts either.

This is very fiddley. I can see that this is potentially powerful but the learning curve is dammning. AND I work in tech, my day job is dealing with complex software and code and it’s tripping ME up!

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

I see that I am using the default part master page and I have the same issue irrespective of the master page set applied.

The Save as Default button is dependent on the dropdown immediately to the left being set to the correct layout type. Chances are you’re looking at a Part but that’s set to Score.

If all of the part layouts already exist, saving as default won’t help you in this project as - having saved new defaults - you’d have to reset them each to default one at a time. Either select all the part layouts from the bottom of the right side of the dialog and then make the change once, to all of them, or make the changes to a single part layout, save as default, switch to Setup mode, delete the existing part layouts and go Setup > Create default part layouts. This’ll rebuild them from your newly-saved defaults.

As to the stuff with flow headers and master pages, it sounds as though you’ve probably dragged things around on individual pages within the parts themselves, before delving into the master page editor. When you drag frames or manually edit their contents (including deleting a flow heading by hand, rather than through Layout Options) that creates a page override, which will be indicated in the top right corner of Engrave mode with a red corner. Overridden pages won’t react to subsequent adjustments to the underlying Master page, the logic being that you’ve created the aberration so you must want to keep it. If you right-click on the overridden page (still in the Pages panel at the top right of Engrave mode) you’ll find Remove Page Overrides on the context menu. This will reset that page, allowing it to take on subsequent Master Page tweaks (and Layout Options adjustments).