Smart quote apostrophe

I just noticed a very small issue (that the dev team shouldn’t lose sleep over). Just mentioning it for their benefit.

On the Mac, I use Shift-option-] to type a smart quote single apostrophe (the curly one) to show singular possessive. Surprisingly, when typing in a Flow title in the Flows panel, this does not enter anything. Typing option-] is allowed, but this is the backwards facing apostrophe.

However, typing Shift-option-] is allowed in the Flow title area of Project Info, which is what I ended up doing. All of this is in preparation for using the {@flow#Title@} token.

I am wondering why the discrepancy exists.

If I type a ‘straight’ apostrophe/quote into the Flow panel’s title, it appears as a ‘smart’ quote on the page. So you probably don’t need to bother in any case. :smiley:
Screenshot 3.png

Thanks for the info! I did not know that. So Dorico is smarting things up without my help!! (not surprised). Or perhaps this is auto-enabled in the Mac OS. Either way, good to know. :slight_smile:

Well, if it is, Finale found a way to get round it. :laughing:

lol.

Amen to that. Works great on Windows as well. I used to have to type Alt-0146 in Finale for the curly apostrophe ALL THE TIME (and -0147/0148 for curly quotes). I don’t exactly miss that. And as far as I know, the latest Finale update STILL hasn’t added this basic functionality.

Checklist for making an annual Finale update:

1. Change the version number.
  2. Make some pointless change to the file format, to ensure it is incompatible with all previous versions.
  3. Ship it!

:imp:

In fairness, that hasn’t been true for the last five years. And rather than malice, it was a problem inherent in the old data structures of ENIGMA.

However, none of that need concern us here. :wink:

Fair enough. The last Finale version I bought was 2014, so I guess I missed out on that “enhancement.”

But one of the bugs in supporting UK keyboards that was there in the first version I used (FInale 3.5, installed from two floppy disks!) was still there in V2014.5. I rest my case, m’lud.