Smart Staff tutorial

Hi There - I am brand new to Dorico and have watched the short video on the remarkable smart staff tool. However; I cannot find any kind of tutorial on how to use it? I am keep to get 4 horn parts on 2 staves and based on the video, it appears this will be possible. Please help!

Welcome to the Dorico forum, jodieb1171.

Dorico’s features for divisi and adding/removing staves from instruments are not designed to handle the case of showing more players on a smaller number of staves. We call this “condensation”, which is a feature that we are planning to add but which does not yet exist in the software.

I have to say, I am not only waiting to have this capability, but I am incredibly curious how it will be implemented. Usually I have enough programming background to imagine how such challenges might work and how the user interface would be managed even though I could never program such things myself (does that make me more a system engineer than a programmer?), but this condensation concept really intrigues me. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

Derrek, I have long suspected that Condensation will be similar to (based on?) the existing Percussion functionality in Dorico. It’s merely a hunch and I’m pretty sure the team have been tight-lipped thus far.

I’m sure there will be shared programming there. I’ll be interested to see how it all plays out.