Smart tool and better navigation

I started using CB pro 8 a few months ago and really liking it. The biggest drawback i found is the lack of a smart tool and a way to position the cursor ANYWHERE within the timeline without having to go all the way up to the ruler. Sorry, but the <> option just won’t cut it.

I believe someone here managed to write a script for the cursor request. Anyone knows if it’s available ? Thx

You propably know you can just rightclick anywhere in the project/editor windows to get the toolbox open, and you can also assign KC to select the tools, I use the F keys for that, but mostly just rightclick. Cubase has also several modifyer combinations per default you should check out. There are many others who wish for a smart tool in the forum though.

I agree cubase would be so much better with a smart tool. Turn two tools into one for faster editing and playback…

Ah, another millionth post about the smart tool.
Steinberg should put a checkmark in the license agreement for it.
Right in the beginning:
“NO SMART TOOL, AGREE?
NO? DOWNLOAD PRO TOOLS”

I hit 9 on the num. row to get the play tool, click where the cursor should go.
But it would be useful to have a play cursor to mouse pointer command, I could imagine a bunch of macros that could be made with such a function.

Yes i’m aware of all the above but needing two hands to do basic editing tasks, something i can easily achieve with one hand when using other daw is unproductive and slows down my workflow.

Ah another useless unproductive reply…

I don’t think it is useless. Because there are just numerous posts about the smart tool and it is really strange.
The smart tool is a very well known approach in editing and if it is important for you then you should at first check whether a program supports it or not.
It is like asking: “Can Cubase render video? No? What a shame!” or, when you are bying a car and only at home discovering that you bought a car with automatic gearbox instead of manual.

Thank god most people on this board are not as close minded as you are and your dumb example does not make any sense. We voice our opinions of features we want or wish to have so hopefully the company will take notice and IMPROVE on what’s already an excellent product. If people adopts your philosophy, we’ll be still sitting on CB version 1.

What a poetic answer.
It’s funny to hear about close mind in your paricular context. Instead of understand how software can work differently and benefit from it you just trying to copy-paste your workflow from another DAW. Very progressively and evolutionary.

And, I wasn’t talking that Cubase doesn’t need the ST feature. For many people it is a great tool, but for me not, and that is why I love Cubase/Nuendo. And my first comment was just about peoples peculiar ignorance when they constantly asking all programs to be the same.

Yes, exactly right - because this particular feature is a ‘wheel’ found in those other DAW’s that works beautifully, efficiently, conveniently and is a pleasure to use (I’m learning StudioOne). A ‘wheel’ that folk are requesting should be added to Cubase; it doesn’t need reinventing, or evolving. Of course the SB devs will put their spin on it; hopefully not spun so much, it takes 3 years to get right… :wink: VCA’s anyone…?

The smart tool is just not a matter of different workflow but a better, quicker and more efficient workflow. Besides why should anyone complain, they still have the choice of keeping the dreaded one click per tool workflow if they wish. I guess in your case,ignorance is bliss!

Hi,
Just to note:
To position the cursor from anywhere:
Press 2 → to select “Range Tool”
Hold “L” and click with mouse in project

Gr,
JHP

[quote=“JHP”
Hi,
Just to note:
To position the cursor from anywhere:
Press 2 → to select “Range Tool”
Hold “L” and click with mouse in project

Gr,
JHP[/quote]

Two keystrokes and a mouse click - not really a ‘killer’ power users shortcut.

Thanks for the tip JHP…is there a way to set up macro for this ? I’m constantly moving my playback cursor while editing and having to hit two keys + click each time would be a drag.

Yes of course…
Setup the Macro with 2 commands:

1. Tool - tange Tool
  2. Transport - Locate Selection Start

Gr,
JHP

I guess the method above is basically the same as using the speaker tool (press 9 then click anywhere for playback), both requiring one keypress then click.

On a side note, do you know why when i click on the arrange with the speaker tool the playback cursor starts a few beats before, my pre-roll is off. Thx