Smoother Hitpoints sliders in Sample Editor

Hello,

I sometimes need to extract drums recordings as MIDI notes for layering or replacement.
Thing is, the Threshold slider in the Hitpoints tab is based on the entire level range, that is 0% = -∞ and 100% = 0 dB. I would need my audio to peak at 0 dB for the Threshold setting to be accurate, in conjunction with the waveform fully zoomed out.

The problem is that the Sample Editor displays the original level of the file, and the only way to actually increase the waveform size without having to zoom in is to normalize the audio, except this takes a lot of disk space.

Most of the time my audio peaks at no more than -15 dB, and I need to zoom into the waveform to be able to see the transients properly. Except when I do that, it still doesn’t change the slider behavior and now every time my mouse travels one pixel, the threshold line makes rather large jumps, making it inaccurate. I let you imagine that the lower the level is the more difficult it becomes, up to a point it is almost impossible to set the threshold properly, if not impossible.

What I am asking is to improve the sliders usability by simply adding the smooth feature that consists of holding the Shift key when tweaking a parameter. Many parameters in Cubase already have this feature but it’s simply missing for the Sample Editor sliders. The Minimum Length box just below has it, but not the main sliders. That’s puzzling, really.

Actually, none of the sliders from the Sample Editor have the smooth feature, including VariAudio and AudioWarp. In VariAudio the Volume slider is highly inaccurate, on my 2560x1440 screen it changes by 0.36 dB per pixel, and the Formant slider often jumps 3% per pixel. It really needs the smooth feature.

1 Like

Using hitpoints myself on more generic stuff but this might be useful. I often use offline peocess to exaggerate the stuff I need (EQ, Compressor, Gate etc) boosting kick, snare, percussions… And that way I further “help” hitpoints algorithm. After I am satisfied with hitpoints i delete all effects in the offline peocess.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, I have thought about this too, especially when it’s a single file with the full kit on it. However this really takes a lot of disk space and do wear it faster in the long term. Putting the effects on the track instead and rendering it takes less space actually, that’s only one time the size of the file, compared to N times the number of processes if you use DOP.

I’ve already found myself using DOP on a few vocals tracks for a simple cover, and I have noticed my Edits folder was 6 GB. I don’t know what I did wrong but that really surprised me, since then I really keep it for when it’s necessary, for example fixing a click with RX De-click or other sensitive tasks that I cannot achieve with classic editing.