SMuFL glyph request

I can’t find a “Filled-in” (i.e. solid) rectangular Breve amongst the SMuFL glyphs. Is there one?

Screenshot 7.png

No, there’s no such glyph, I’m afraid. Feel free to create an issue on the SMuFL GitHub repository to make a formal request.

Out of curiosity, what is the screenshot from?

Psalm 51:15

An edition of Anglican Choral Responses by OUP. (They’re quite a good compositional test, as you’ve got to set about 15 short sentences in only a few bars each, as succinctly as possible.)

They start with the priest intoning “O Lord, open thou our lips”, and the choral response is “And our mouth shall shew forth thy praise”, which does indeed reference Ps. 51:15: “Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord: and my mouth shall shew thy praise.”

I also need the rectangular Breve black, for the black notation in A. Scarlatti Opera but I just can’t find it anywhere; indeed this is the only place where it is talking about a black Breve. Are there any news about it?
Thank you

Look at the attached pic, is it this notehead?
If yes, this is from Robert Piéchaud Font “November 2”.

BTW all the Lilypond fonts have this glyph too.
It is called “noteheads.sM3blackligmensural”.
It is then possible to import it into Dorico.

Yes it is the right one.
Thank you very much teacue

Interesting: so SMuFL does indeed have a position for “mensuralNoteheadLongaBlack” (U+E934), which Bravura displays as a simple black rectangle, without the vertical ‘serifs’ that are shown on mensuralNoteheadLongaWhite (U+E937).

You’ll have to pardon my ignorance, because I’ve never attempted to change notehead sets, but how would one apply this particular notehead natively? I do a lot of psalm settings and currently use a double-whole note for this purpose, but I’m unhappy with the square version (difficult to read chords) and the rounded version has double lines which I’m not used to seeing and do not care for.

Reading your question again, I am not sure what you mean with “natively”.
Anyway I describe a way to get this notehead in a project.

1. Install a font with this glyph, for example the LilyPond font “Emmentaler”
    You can find it here: lilyglyphs/fonts at master · uliska/lilyglyphs · GitHub
  2. Insert a Breve (double whole note) in a project
  3. Go to Engrave/Notehead Sets
  4. In “Category” on the left choose Common/Larger Noteheads
  5. In Notehead Set on the right select “noteheadDoubleWholeSquareOversized”
  6. Click on the edit symbol at the bottom, it should lead you now to the “Edit Notehead” window
  7. Delete the glyph in use in the main edit window
  8. On the right select “Glyph”, then in the Font dropdown menu look for the font you have installed.
    Let say “Emmentaler-18”
  9. In the Range dropdown menu select “Basic Private Use Area”
  10. Now search for the Glyph you need (I find this BTW difficult because there is no description-feedback from Dorico which glyph you choose, you will only see a graphic symbol of the glyph)
    This particular glyph is amost at the end of the font range in Emmentaler-18
  11. Select the glyph and click on “Add Glyph”, the glyph should now appear in the main edit window.
  12. Click OK to leave the editor, click OK again to leave the Edit Note Sets editor.
    In your project the notehead should appear.

I hope this helps

Can you add Noteheads from fonts other than the current Music Font? Even though it shows you a font list, I thought that it only actually uses the glyph shown in the current font?

For chords, the traditional approach is to do this, which avoids the ‘stepladder’ appearance.

Screenshot 13.png

Good to know, benwiggy. That is new to me (I’m not in the Anglican tradition but I look to it for heavy inspiration). Considering the number of chords often present, and the fact that to do this you need to plan ahead with multiple voices, it seems a wee bit of a pain to do in Dorico.

Teacue that is marvelous. Thanks!