Snap Cursor Problem

In Wavelab 6 when I right click on a wave file I got a drop-down menu that was called “Wave File,” and there was an option in that menu to “snap cursor.” In Wavelab 7 when I right click on a wave I get a drop-down menu called “Audio File” with no option to “snap cursor.” I used this a lot and am a bit frustrated that it seems to be gone from this menu in 7. Is it gone or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Don

Menu View > Move cursor > Snap position

This will snap to the nearest zero crossing point.

If you use this function often, create a shortcut.

Thanks!

I have to admit, though, since it was already dead easy to do in Wavelab 6 with the drop-down menu why change it in 7?

Cheers,

Don

+1 here. I very much miss the directness of the right click in the waveform, especially to select a part of it. Short cuts are hardly an option, since there are so many selections I use (to next marker, previous marker, end of file etc., etc.). Plus, I’m already in the waveform placing the cursor, so it feels natural to directly select from there. No improvement at all.

Luck, Arjan

I don’t agree that shortcuts are no option: They are the fastest option that exists. I do all my cursor movements and many selections with shortcuts and I think that all shortcuts you use regularly after short time will be remembered automatically. If you don’t use them often then I would say using the menu can’t be a big issue. It is not even more clicks then using the dropdown menu…
But, sure, if many people miss the selection options in the right click drop down menu it would not hurt anyone to bring this back again.
I can only recommend anybody to make use of the extensive shortcut options in WL7 for all tasks that are needed very often.

It’s not about the number of clicks; it’s the movement of the mouse that is tedious. I have my left hand at the keyboard (usually ready for CTL or SHIFT), then a DM3200 mixer before me, and then a mouse under my right hand. When I put the cursor at the start point of my selection, I’m not looking at my left hand but at the screen, so a right-click is the most obvious thing to do. Maybe for you shortcuts are the fastest option; not for me.

Luck, Arjan

Agreed. Why make something more laborious than it used to be? It was there and they removed it, so how is that making things easier? My hand is already on the mouse, so why make me move it to use a shortcut that I had to program when it used to take a second to right click and select the “snap” option? I always thought that software upgrades were designed to improve the workflow, not make the longtime user learn new ways to do things that had already been ingrained in the process.

Also, there are already so many shortcuts assigned to tasks that finding one that doesn’t need multiple-key combinations can be a bit tedious, and using multiple-key shortcuts is hardly faster than a simple click of the mouse when your hand is already on it.

Everyone’s workflow is different, though, but taking something away that was useful to the majority of users seems rather . . . well . . . lame.

Cheers,

Don

Of course I am using the left hand for the keyboard shortcuts, not the right hand, which is usually on the mouse. We are talking about speed and workflow here and in this context it seems very uneconomic to use the left hand only to scratch the head. There are some exceptions from this rule, e.g. if I use a shortcut which needs both hands as ctrl+shift+right arrow for selection from cursor to the end, but 95% of the shortcuts i do with my left hand only.
Obviously everyone has his/her own way of working and I have complete understanding if there is frustration when something from the old workflow which worked ok is gone in the updated version. Again, I never used the old right click drop down menu a lot, but I think there is no good reason why it can’t be brought back as it was before if this is requested.