So tired of Nuendo's routing

Our interface has 512×512 channels. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to reroute all the external fx channels everytime Nuendo decides to forget it all (which is constant) Im about ready to look for a DAW that doesn’t require this of me anymore.

5 Likes

that sounds like a real drag. have you directly contacted SB support and gotten a response? if so what was it?
I’ve seen this issue pop up but don’t use external gear a lot… but in a music studio with 512 channels (!) that is really annoying.

OMG, I can imagine! Sounds like the same issue like we have here. The post is also tagged as “feature request” / “issue”. Let’s put them together. Maybe it helps.

2 Likes

Looks like presets for this section have been requested for awhile: External effects favourites - #6 by Graveley

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t add a “preset” drop down similar to the output tab.

1 Like

And even farther back ugh: Option to save preset of External FX in the same way as in/outputs. - #17 by rockrecorder

Guess we shouldn’t hold our breath for this, but it would be great to at least have a reason why this isn’t something that could be added in Nuendo 12. I use this section as well, and can’t imagine having that many tracks to reassign during a session.

1 Like

Presets would not be a viable option here, as 128 of my outputs feed to the Dolby RMU (external renderer), which are different for every project.

Right now, I have a Dolby Atmos project due Monday morning. I got the mix finished yesterday and now I need to render a master file, so that I can make an MP4 for quality control, check it at home on my consumer-grade 7.1.4 system and binaural on my phone, then come back tomorrow to master it with the stereo master for final release.
The Atmos Renderer Remote was acting up (turned out it the window was floating somewhere off screen for whatever reason), so I reinstalled the program. At the end, it tried to automatically restart the PC. Despite me hitting “cancel” it nonetheless closed Nuendo the moment I told it to save. When I reopened Nuendo, I got the gray preferences screen that pops up whenever Nuendo isn’t shutdown correctly.
Upon reopening, I went back into my project… all my outputs and external fx send/returns are now completely reset. None of my Atmos objects are connected because the outputs no longer exist, the bed is disconnected for the same reason, the LTC generator is disconnected for the same reason, all external fx are still listed in the F4 window but all are disconnected, 7.1.4 Master Out is no longer listed in the outputs, Stereo Out has been added, yet for no logical reason all of my inputs are still listed but also disconnected.

Nuendo is otherwise by far the best DAW and its a million miles ahead of everything else when it comes to Atmos in every other way, but this is a MASSIVE problem. Nuendo isn’t worth a penny to me if its only useful for ITB. Infact, you can’t really call it professional software if it can only manage to function right for in-the-box amateur work.
There is either a solution for this or this is a deal breaker

Ouch that sounds like a very painful thing to need to setup again.
However, i think the presets still would have helped. As you reinstalled the dolby renderer software (which i must honestly say is quite a gamble just before a deadline with nuendo open) you would have been able to save a preset for your project. I do that for other things and has saved my butt.
Nevertheless its weird that N12 forgets all settings so radically.

1 Like

How do you contact SB support?

Just look for the preference file “External Plugins.xml”, copy it to another location and if Nuendo fails again with the external connections, copy it back to the Preferences folder and overwrite the one in it.
Or duplicate and rename the .XML extension in the same folder as a backup.
That should be saving a lot of time.
I have to do this sometimes with my 42/42 external channels too. Steinberg seems to ignore this problem for whatever reason - I reported it many years ago.

Interesting, normally when using the external Renderer with pro tools via Mac, saving the Renderer’s config file and the DAW io settings together for future project access seems to work fine. However I noticed you mentioned you were using a PC (which I prefer), so I’d assume the setup is different here.

There are certain members of staff present on this forum, for example @Georg_Kiria . If you look around (see for example the ‘Announcements’ channel) you’ll see them post or answer questions and you can sent them personal messages. Good luck!

Thanks - I wrote directly to SB support looking to HIRE a tutor/guide. I got the ‘sorry can’t help’ At least they didn’t send me a link to some confused doc or some stream-of-conscious, hey look at me I’m mixing rambling video.

Support is not just a SB issue it is industry wide.

PS they told me for support to come here but did not offer a link lol

Yeah support is an industry wide blackhole. but I did get good responses here from employees and users. so it does work.
But I think you are right to find a tutor, with soo much PT experience, Nuendo can be a steep learning curve. I’ve learned both when I was young enough to get a good amount of time ‘in’. Not a qualified engineer or anything, I certainly run into issues of comprehension myself.
Software is a tough business to run and an ever expanding field so keep digging is the only way.
good luck

Thank you 2020. When I read about the problem hiring in other industries I never thought it included ours.

I learned by the seat of my pants and industry giants who took the time to teach me. Today they take college courses taught by teachers who know less then they do,

I feel sorry for all these hardware and software companies competing for the same dollar from end users who are caught in the same catch-22. Some day the bubble will burst and there will be a flood of used audio equipment for sale if it is not happening already…s

for your viewing ‘pleasure’:

1 Like

It has happened in all phases, from record companies, to groups, to studios, touring, to equipment and finally sales. Just look at guitar center and I understand sweetwater too.

Remember when Mix mag was the thickness of a phone book!

The same thing is film too - the theaters are all but gone. Good luck getting your film made let alone exhibited. Streaming is about to go down that rabbit hole. There is no end in sight for the writers strike.

Are we approaching 'singularity?" I am happy to be old and retired, ‘It’s my hobby.’

Time to play…s

1 Like

So I think I have things in order now.
I do need to route the inputs and outputs all the time, but they seem to be saving with the project, which keeps the object routing to the renderer for each project. I have to check which inputs mics/instruments are on and set them up each time before tracking, but thats getting done during the physical setup process, and I have to change the control-room monitor setup when switching between stereo and Atmos anyway, so I’ve just made a routine of it.

I think it forgetting the analog channels was maybe related to it forgetting the interface when it opens with the “crash” screen, so I’ve been making sure to always take the time to ensure I open it with previous settings no matter what.

So far, I haven’t had to reroute everything in awhile. In case it happens again, I’ve rerouted and labeled every IO for every device in Dante controller so that I can just go off that if it happens again.

Im not sure what I was doing that kept leading me back to the same nightmare, but it seems to be under control now.

3 Likes