Cubase crashes due to GPU Drivers

Should I avoid NVidia in my next compute build?

I was also potentially looking at getting the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo, which has a NVidiaGeforce RTX 3070 GPU…

Is it all NVidia cards with these problems or just older ones?

It seems to me a lot of the problematic cards were released on Windows 7 just before Windows 10 release, and then had Windows 10 drivers released later.

Thanks for the link but ive already done this.
I do have onboard graphics, and have used it in the past, totally bypassing my Nvida card. I even used the HDMI out from thr motherboard. I still had issues, although not the one reported in this thread. But still, i had graphic issues with no Nvidia involvement.
My comment on asking where the setting was was in relation to the ‘right click on the .exe’ post, which isnt there, and i cant see why its been posted twice now. It doesn’t help at all.

Im in agreement with digitallysane. I’m not convinced about all this ‘it’s Nvidia’s fault’. Surely the code for CB was written to work with their drivers from the start. Did Nvidia change something? Is it a case of Steinberg refuse to re write their code, and Nvidia refuse to re write theirs? I can understand the latter, as pointed out, Steinberg are a relatively small company so Nvidia wont pander to them, but Steinberg have an obligation to ensure that their program does work with hardware that is very common amongst PC users. Why was it written knowing it wouldn’t work 100% in the first place?

‘We cannot bypass this technology so easy’. Ok, its not easy, but you need to do it to give your user base a better experience. Easier said then done i agree, but if its been going on for so long, and only now we hear about, something isnt right.

They need to put a note or disclaimer on their website IMO. Selling software that has a known issue with certain industry standard graphics card should be pointed out. I can imagine if it were other, bigger companies, a class action law suit could be on the cards. But then I suppose if they did that, with the majority of PC owners using Nvidia cards they might not sell so many copies of CB.

The fact that 99% of crashes are with Nvidia cards is not a surprise, as these cards dominate the market. There will naturally be more of these cards in a random selection IMO. The more worrying fact is the other 1%. This seems to show its not exclusive to Nvidia, although i like the 1% odds better.
Yes, we did talk about Admin mode before, and no, I’m not using it in this mode. I have to with older projects as i was getting strange issues with the waveform display, but now I’m back to user mode for new projects, but still with the following issue. The reason i was using Admin mode was POS would not close when i use User mode. Even with stand alone’ she like Halion, or Wavlab etc. All had to be run in Admin to ensure POS shut down when it was not in use. It would close eventually, but if i was switching applications I’d have to force quit it from Task manager.

Still, with all this said, CB is an amazing program, and the Dev’s have done an amazing job coming up with this. It just needs a bit more and we are good. There are obviously loads of bugs that arent GPU related that also need fixing though.

I will not reply to all the claims but I’m afraid there lies a couple of misunderstandings or things I cannot agree with. All I can say is that there’s a KB article about related issues. This is a known issue we’ve been discussing with NVidia, as a matter of fact this is popping up regularly on our radar.
I’m sorry if you feel that this is disregarded as such but I respectfully disagree about this.

1 Like

The most interesting part of that KB is just the brief at the beginning:

A new graphics sub-system has been introduced in Cubase 9.5 that seems to show incompatibilities with certain NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPU) and driver versions.

How is a gamedev studio that’s looking into buying in some high-end post software specifically pitched to game developers, supposed to react to this?

How is a film production/post-production studio (my case) supposed to take this?

I own an animation studio, I use Houdini, Unreal Engine, Adobe CC, Resolve, Scratch and some other highly GPU-dependent apps. I have no option but using NVidia cards in my workstations.

I started getting into Cubase (which I really like) and I’m evaluating Nuendo (which I love).
Crossgrading to Nuendo seemed obvious, but you just gave me a hard pause on that.

Investing even more money (and time) into the products of a company with such an attitude suddenly looks like an irresponsible thing to do.

1 Like

We believe this mostly happens on entry-level GPUs. I would give it a try first with a trial.

I have an RTX2070 in my workstation. Not the latest and the greatest, but certainly not entry level. Studio drivers etc.
And I have the issue described here: Media Bay dog slow to open / graphics issue - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
currently in discussion with support (aka, haven’t heard anything from them in more than two weeks).
It happens in both Cubase (LE and Pro) and Nuendo.

Wouldn’t they still use the same drivers as the higher level cards?

I’m a bit stuck with the GPU options we talked about earlier. I know where the settings are to change the preferences to not use the Nvidia card, and thought I had it set, it few days ago, but looking at it now the only option I have is the GTX780. Both for power and performance.
My Motherboard has an intel HD4000 chipset, but it’s only usable if it’s physically connected to the monitor. Device manager says it’s on and working, but I can’t select it without using a cable. As it will only run at 1080p max it’s not much use.

Unfortunately that kb is out of date, as Nvidia control panel no longer controls the GPU selection for individual applications. It’s done via the Windows (10) operating system now, as part of the GPU scheduling.

It’s no wonder @Davebass5 is confused as to where they should find these options to try a fix, as this is the second method I’ve seen written which is misleading.

It’s been 4 years since C9.5 released, and still an issue for 90+% of users experiencing similar crashes. I appreciate you discussing the issue, and not wanting bashing steinberg - it’s just a feeling of disappointment reading this. :frowning:

1 Like

To be fair thoses crashes are relatively rare and are definitely not broadly spread. We’ve had hard times trying to find a system here where they can be easily reproduced. That does not affect 99% of our users using an NVidia card.

2 Likes

Yes, ive had this particular issue just once, so it not really a deal breaker at the moment, but i wonder what other issues are happening off the back of this, as they seem more common.

I’m still not seeing this GPU choice. In fact even the link provided above doesnt show this, it shows a two instances of the same Nvidia GPU.

Hi Dave,
I had the same issue with cubase pro 9.5 and 10 and my pc : MB assus 97-C, cpu Intel i7-4790K (with Intel HD 4600 graphic integrated) and a nVidia GTX1050 (2 cards and 2 screens). After many researches I found a tool from Nvidia for the settings of their graphic cards. This tool is called nvidiaProfileInspector (my version is 2.1.3.20) and can be used to define and set a particular profile for cubase. If you want I can send you this tool and the profile I use now (I have no more crash now).
Tell me if you are interested.

2 Likes

Any particular setting that made a difference?

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. Ill give it a go if you dont mind.
As far as i can see you can still do a lot of this this in the Nvidia control panel. My problem will be not knowing what to turn on or off.
Ive spent ages trying to get both the GPU and iGPU to show up, even dxdiag only sees whatever card is connected to a monitor. This is what I’m stuck on now. I have no idea if i even need to do this, but its one of those things that everyone seems to have and not me, or that no one does.

This application is much more powerful than the Nvidia control panel and offers many more parameters for the setting of your card.
You can find informations here : https://nvidiaprofileinspector.com/
With the application I can give you the profile file to load for cubase (the only settings needed).
Tell me what you want to do.

Probably, if it makes cubase to work with special configurations…

I give you the parameters used with the nvidia profile inspector tool for my configuration. I hope it can help you.

Profile “Steinberg Cubase”
ShowOn Quadro
ProfileType Application
Executable “cubase9.5.exe” UserSpecified=true
Executable “cubase10.exe” UserSpecified=true
Executable “cubase*.exe” Name=“Cubase Elements”
Setting ID_0x10f9dc81 = 0x00000011
Setting ID_0x10f9dc84 = 0x00000100
Setting ID_0x205f7e3b = 0x00000000
Setting ID_0x20a6eebc = 0x00000001
EndProfile

Since my computer has two graphics cards (one on-board, and one RTX5000 Nvidia Quadro),
I decided to disable the Nvidia for Cubase.exe, meaning Cubase can’t access my Nvidia card. And then the crashing finally stopped. You can do this by going to Windows 11, find the Display options, choose the Graphics option, then browser to add Cubase.exe from Program Files, and set “Power Saving” as the mode. I also enabled “don’t use optimizations” to be sure.

Now my Cubase will use the on-board card, and never use my Nvidia./

And where do you connect the screens?

I guess he uses a laptop.

Some GPU crashes are linked to XMP being enabled, more common if you are using DDR5 with 4 sticks of RAM…