So your telling me since I lost my dongle in a fire...

There are some lessons to be learned here:

If you have something of value, it’s only natural for the righful owner to want to protect it.

In the case of Steinberg, they are protecting the value of thier software by using a hardware based anti-piracy deterrant called the elicenser. While many may disagree with the manner in which Steinberg chooses to protect thier intelectual property, it is thier choice nonetheless, just as it is our choice to use Steinberg products or not.

It’s very unfortunate that the original poster experienced a real fire with real damage. And it is somewhat understandable to be upset to hear (at first) that the replacement cost of the Cubase license would require another purchase. In the end Steinberg came through. But the original poster’s comments illustrate a never-ending problem that many music software users (in particualr) have when it comes to how they percieve software.

Here’s something to think about:

If I bought an $500 engagment ring for my girlfriend at a jeweler, left the store with it in hand, and then got mugged walking down the street and had it stolen from me, how could I expect the jeweler to replace the ring at little to no cost to them. In this situation, unexpected and undesirable events took place (fire and mugging) that weren’t the fault of the victim or the supplier (Steinberg and jeweler). We’d understandably be angry at the mugger and feel bad for the victim, but somehow we wouldn’t be very angry at the jeweler for not providing a free or discounted replacement engagement ring.

Why is that?

Is it because there is a general consensus among most people that a diamond ring has monetary value and somehow music software does not?

Is it because you can touch, hold and feel a physical diamond ring, while you can’t physically touch the virtual faders, audio waves or plug-in dials in the Cubase?

Why is it OK to download and use software that wasn’t paid for, but it’s considered wrong to break into a music store and start using a Fender Stratocaster that wasn’t paid for? I use this as an example to illustrate that as long as users of music software continue to perceive intellectual property as having less value than physical property, there will always be users who feel it’s just fine to use pirated software and there will be companies (like Steinberg) that feel it’s completely appropriate to charge a replacement fee for lost or damaged goods.

Now I’m sure many people will say that me comparing an engagement ring to a Cubase 6 license is a bad example and a ridiculous comparison. But is it really? When I go into a jewelry store and see a ring in the display case, does anyone scoff at the jeweler and say “you’re crazy for expecting me to pay you $500 for that ring!” No, you just determine if you can afford it our not, and then buy it or pass on it. Same thing at a music store. If there’s a box of Cubase 6 on the shelf, we don’t scoff at the saleperson and say, “you’re crazy for expecting me to pay you $500 for Cubase!” No, you just determine if you can afford it our not, and then buy it or pass on it.

Something happens when we’re by ourselves, behind closed doors and have a high speed internet connection…

Did you ever notice how when you go into a jewelry store, the items are in a locked display case, there’s an alarm system, usually a security guard, and video cameras watching everyone in the store? All these things are PHYSICAL and VISUAL reminders without any ambiguity, that clearly tell you that the items in the jewelry store have VALUE and the seller is going to protect thier property at all costs.

But somehow when we’re in the private comfort of our homes, we’re all alone and have a high speed internet connection, all of a sudden it becomes totally fine to start downloading software that has market value (at least to some people) without paying anything for it. It’s really ironic that many people will have no problems using pirated music software to make their music, and then get angry when people copy thier finished CD’s or get free MP3 copies of thier albums without compensating the artist.

In the end, it’s all about what you perceive as having real value. And until we can all agree that intellectual property has just as much value as physical property, this hot topic will continue to be one of ongoing disagreement. Just something for us all to think about.

Yes, it is, as far as giving a free replacement is concerned …

– It doesn’t cost Steinberg much to issue a new activation code, and it shows Steinberg in a good light to do so.

– But (depending on the jeweller :mrgreen: ) it could cost the jeweller a lot to replace the ring.

– It doesn’t cost Steinberg much to issue a new activation code, and it shows Steinberg in a good light to do so.
– But (depending on the jeweller ) it could cost the jeweller a lot to replace the ring.

…Could not have said it better

I first want to apologize for bragging of using a pirated copy. I do not want to ever give the impression of that ever being cool, cuz its not! I honestly am a big supporter of battling piracy. I was given a copy of cubase 5 pirated copy 2 years ago and well, its thanks to that copy is what got me so deep into what I do today and i did what anyone should do when they can afford it or when it becomes a everyday use… BUY A LEGAL LICENCE. So after I lost everything I had just gone back to that old copy from 2 years ago… Did not, nor will not ever go hunting for a pirated copy again. I unfortunantly had bought another copy of cubase artist 6 this morning from musicians friend and when i got home this evening I did not notice the response i had recived from EdDoll this morning. I was surfing web on my phone and was out in the country working and 3G signal was spotty. EdDoll, you have done more for me then all of steinberg customer support did in 6 months. My god man… THANK YOU!! But if I am able to cancel my order with musicians friend (getting my $260 WOULD BE SO GNARLY!) What do I do about installation disk that I also dont have? (jeesss, thank god my penis is attached to me eh?) They sent me a install disk on my first request. when it arrived it was not formatted right. I know this cuz Customer support got on my computer via remote desktop and well guys here is the kicker. Ever since then they said another disk will be rolling out the door that day ( I have all emails saved for if anyone doubts my story) 3 months go by fellas and they keep saying the address doesnt exist and is returned every time!! I verified the address they are shipping to and as always it is. but the kicker to me is THE FIRST DISC MADE IT!! WTF?? and you see fellas, its easy to start wondering if your leg is getting pulled or someone just dont give a F*%$
I know i am not totally innocent in all this but all i ever wanted was straight answers and well guess what i learned… Book mark this website forum as the “REAL” cubase 6 support

There’s two things you could try in the meantime.

I think Artist 6 is the full C6 and installs all the full C6 files but limits the functionality by the licence. So if you have a full C6 licence there’s a very good chance that it will unlock Artist 6 into the full C6.

The other thing that may work (really don’t know about this one) is to download the trial version of C6 and see if having the correct licence unlocks the demo mode.

I think both Split’s suggestions should work.

+1

There one thing that came to my mind, though. If you install C6 (full) license (received from SB) to the CA6 dongle (coming with package bought from MF), could this lead to any kind of conflict? I mean, can these licenses still be separated so OP can sell/return his CA6, which he doesn’t need anymore after buying an empty dongle?

Both is correct. However, the trial download does not contain all the additional files (videos etc.) which might be nice to have.
So in case you, Nathan, want to return the Artist 6 which you just bought, I am going to send you a PM where to download an ISO image of the Cubase 6 DVD.

OH MY GOD!!! This is seriously the best day I’ve had in a long time!! I’ve gotten to know reaper pretty good but if anyone here is familiar with reapers plug-in VST File structure, well… This is where Cubase is worth every dime. I have a TON of wave plugins along with many others and Cubase automatically organized it all!!! Goodbye thumbing through a mess of plug-ins, hello artistic flow… Well, I’m now going to get on the horn with musicians friend and see if the order can be stopped. God I hope so cuz of I remember correctly I don’t think it’s returnable… Probably once opened that is… 260$ bones saved and I owe it all to everyone here who posted and the debating and asking questions helped me better understand the license and dongle issues. Most highest thanks goes to EDdoll… I can’t tell you enough Ed how much I appreciate your time and knowledge. You most certainly proved me wrong about steinberg customer support. But Ed, I will def Contact cust. Support again but my last 2 emails were not responded to but you know something, I’m willing to now bet it was some kind of freak error maybe and I at least now feel better to have someone like you to have as back up if ever that brick wall gets In the way

You’re welcome! I am really sorry for this, I really think that something went seriously wrong with the email communication unintentionally. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to return the Cubase Artist 6 order.

whenever I see posts with lots of CAPS and Z’s in words that shouldn’t have them I switch off, but then again I’m British and standards need to be kept :smiley:

MC

Attachments<<
photo.JPG<<

erm… I’ve tried this activation code, it is unfortunately already registered.
(No kiddin, my original eLicenser told me that!)
damn. But an attempt was worth it.

:mrgreen:

Musicians friend were awesome, and canceled the order. As for the guy who from Britain with grammar “standards” it’s called short hand In amarica. If we decide we need a hall monitor we will be sure to let you know.

I do use caps a lot for this subject cuzzzzzzzzz caps show excitement. After a year of not having my Cubase 6 and suddenly getting it all back… Its VERY EXCITING!!! Demo of how to properly use caps

^
Show excitement? Really? I hadn’t noticed. :laughing:

I capitalise the occasional word for emphasis, but too many capitals slow down the reading (for most people, if I understand correctly). And words like “cuzzzzzzzzz” take me a couple of seconds to decode into English.

Too much of that (and strings of exclamation marks) and I’m with Norbury Brook – why waste time deciphering strange spellings and reading awkward strings of capitals, when you can read someone else’s post instead? :slight_smile:

You obviously missed the smiley…

Does anyone know how to contact Steinberg for support? It seems to be impossible. I am in Brazil, and they only have one email from a Yamaha rep on their website. I lost my hard drive due to a virus, and I am trying to re-install cubase 6, but there seems to be a problem with the installation disk. I have an original copy, and a usb e-licenser dongle. It’s nearly impossible to find support from Steinberg. I tried calling their US and UK support phone numbers, but no one ever answers, and the message says they only attend by appointment. If someone could help, I would really appreciate it. This is starting to seem like more trouble than it’s worth.

I’m going to answer in portuguese, because I’m from Brazil too:

Você pode ligar para o número da Steinberg do Brasil

FONE: (11) 3704-1377
ATENDIMENTO: de 2ª à 6ª - das 9h às 17h

http://www.steinbergbrasil.com.br/paginas/contato.htm

Já liguei para eles no passado e fui bem atendido(conversei com um representante chamado Caio).
Tenho o celular do Rio de Janeiro do representante que me vendeu o Cubase 6 (Marcello, da Atelie do som). Talvez ele possa te ajudar também. Caso queira, me avise que te passo o número por mp.

Mas a princípio não deveria haver problema em reinstalar o Cubase, pois o que importa é a dongle USB. Você pode inclusive instalar em trocentos computadores, pois só vai usar aquele em que espetar a chave USB. A não ser que vc esteja falando do Cubase artist(pois aí a licença é por software). No caso do Artist vc precisa reativar dentro do sua “my Steinberg”.

O que pode estar acontecendo é que o aplicativo de elicenser do seu DVD de instalação é antigo, e a USB não o aceita mais(pois na outra instalação havia um mais novo). Basta ir no site baixar e instalar a versão atual:

I’m not sure under which category your particular idiomatic writing style belongs but I can assure you it isn’t short hand.

Well, he did say “In amarica”, wherever that may be…