Soft-eLiceser and Cubase Elements 9.5.1 Activation Prob

After spending some time with installation procedure web page instructions for installing and reading some posts here, I installed, then uninstalled, and then reinstalled both software packages (see article title) twice. I’m getting nowhere fast when it come to inserting the activation code in the Soft-eLicenser.

When entering the activation code the description box below the activation code entering display shows what software package (Cubase Elements 9.5.1) I am currently trying to activate. After clicking on continue a “Select eLicenser” window pops up to select a eLicenser. There is a listing for a “soft” (vs. USB) eLicenser and the serial number registered with Steinberg under the heading “eLicensers”. There is a red slash/circle over the hard drive icon and in the info box there is a message which says :

Currently, there is no eLicenser connected to your computer to download. Please connect an appropriate USB eLicenser to your computer.

After reading some web pages I understand I don’t HAVE TO have a USB device if I have a SOFT device. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome,

By default, you don’t have to use USB-eLicenser for Cubase Elements. By default this is stored as a Soft-eLicense. If you move the license to the USB-eLicenser, then it becomes an USB-eLicense and you cannot move it back to the Soft-eLicenser.

Can you see a Soft-eLicenser Number (bellow the Soft-eLicenser icon) in the eLCC application?

The selection, of the Soft-/USB-eLicenser should come in place, when you upgrade a license. Are you sure, you are activating Cubase Elements retail version? Isn’t it any upgrade (from Cubase AI or LE or older Cubase version)?