Solo defeat .. i don't get it

Hi,

The only way to have solo defeat on my track is to manually activate solo defeat on all bus it goes through. why can’t i have these bus automatically being solo defeat when one of there tracks is solo defeat ? wouldn’t that make sense ?
is there something to set in pref about this ?

I’m wondering about that also. It’s VERY unhandy to click on all busses and auxes solos to hear a solo track. No other DAW does that to me.

yeah i was wondering if there’s a …buses follows Solo defet track type of thing… couldn’t find it. didn’t have more time to look honestly.

I think this is one of THE strong points on Nuendo workflow.
I almost never NEED solo defeat as solo and mutes are handled automatically.
When / in what context do you use solo defeat?

2 Likes

in this case i research music with a voices. I want to leave the com / speak / dialogues (multiple tracks) on while working on the music to match some breathing space etc…
So i like to have voices solo defeat and really if annoying i mute it’s stem.
this way it allows me to solo parts of the music but still listening to all voices
combining that with monitor sources in CR i have all i want.

—EDIT
hey wait nice website… check mine if you need soundtracks :wink:
http://www.sylvainmoreau.com/sylvainmoreau/index.php/works

I’ve had a solo all off key for years. It is available in the hot key section.

Hi Wheels not sure i get it. You mean the command to remove all solos ?
yes i use this but how does that help with solo defeat activation for a track ?

I think I misunderstood. If you alt click (I think, can’t remember the exact keystroke) on a solo button it will change colour and there will be a “D” there instead and it will be in solo defeat mode.

I don’t think there is. I know in Cubase it works the same way. Its very miss-leading as when the track is in “solo defeat” mode you see the audio on the track play in the meters but you will not hear it. You have to manually set the buss in solo defeat.

A new problem I have with solo defeat is when monitoring midi external gear.
A midi track goes to external synth
external synth comes to audio track.
both midi and audio track are on monitor so I can play midi and listen to audio incoming.
all good.
But say I want to solo that midi how ever the audio track is solo defeat or not will not pass the audio.

One thing you can do which might alleviate the chore of hunting the busses to solo is to use the channel window with “direct routing” option ticked. You can make the window always follow track selection and stay open. So you will have the track’s fader alongside all the busses it goes through, allowing you to quickly solo defeat them all.
I always have channel window open on a second monitor and its always handy.

1 Like

Thx I’ll try this for a while and see if nothing annoying gets through these solo defeated busses while soloing stuff around. If that works… shouldn’t we leave all buses solo defeat no matter what ? or is there a risk I don’t understand.

the only risk I see is if you use the option to not solo returns with the sends, have tracks sending to busses, and want to solo a track without listening to any of its sends. In this case the send would be monitored along… am I trippin?

sgodzillat
Just as a work around for now, would it work for you if you Link the track to the Bus, only the Solo option?

Hi, that’s a good idea. Unforunatly I need it for external gear so I have a midi track to external synth and back to audio track. And midi and audio track can’t be grouped. For the moment puting solo defeat on BUS is the best although not enough : Once I have the solo defeat on the track and the bus behind I can’t solo that track anymore to hear it once recorded… I constantly have to swich between solo defeat on/off the entire sub chain and it’s not convinient specially since the solo defeat can’t only be activated in the mix window (why the hell is that ?)
also the worse I found : when you solo undefeat som groups while track is in solo nuendo will add mute on all tracks ! this is a nightmare scenario.

solo defeat still don’t get it for advanced situations.

using solo defeat on groups can be a big danger. Just happen to realise that.
I had a track in solo defeat that I wanted to solo… because you can’t do that (wich is a bit sad you might still want to solo a solo defeated track) I start to :
solo undefeat that track, then press solo…
It does not work because other track going to next solo undefeated buses are playing.
So I start to solo undefeat all those buses…
The result is nuendo will turn on MUTE on those tracks !
you end up with a session where all mutes are on. Wich is a nightmare as I have to go through hunderd of track trying to remember what state they were on.
The Undo in the mix window didn’t do anything for that… (no idea what this undo is for if not a situation like that)

2 Likes

My bad they can ! I will experiment with that solution thanks.

sgodzillat
I was just about to say that.
It is clunky, but it is the best way around that I can think of, until Steinberg fixes it.