Soloing a channel kills all sound

So I recently got Cubase 5 up and running after not really recording at home for a few years. Most of it is coming back to me pretty easy, but there is one new issue I have never seen before that is totally stumping me.

When I hit solo on a given channel, the signal meters show that all other channels have been muted while the soloed channel is still playing (as you would expect), but all sound output to the monitors is muted. In other words, solo seems to be working right by the signal meters in the software, but when it comes to the signal being sent to my monitors everything is muted.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Maybe you have the “monitor” and/or “record” function(s) activated on the solo’d track? If yes, disable them.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Nope, already disabled and still getting the problem.

Hmm…just discovered a new wrinkle. The solo function works properly on my drum track. My drums on this project are simply a .wav file that I created in another program and imported into a stereo track in Cubase. I just tried it again by exporting a single guitar channel as a .wav then re-importing it and the solo function works properly on it too. So solo seems to work on imported audio, but not on audio recorded directly into Cubase. I’m at a total loss.

Is this just happening on this project or on all projects?

Regards. :sunglasses:

Yes, just started a new one and same thing.

However, I did just discover a work around. If I drag a track recorded directly into Cubase to another channel solo begins functioning normally again, and continues to function even if I then move it back to the original channel. After I do this once everything seems to work normally from then on. So at least I can get around it with minimal effort, but still annoying and driving me crazy that I can’t figure out why it is happening.

Well… I’m stumped. Hope you, or someone here, can figure it out.

Regards :sunglasses:

Ha, thanks for trying. :wink:

Update: It seems engaging solo defeat on the master output channel solves the problem. I still have no idea why I started having this issue, but at least there is a simple solution.