Soloing one or more staves in an 8-staff choral chart (newbie)

I’m pretty sure there is a simple answer to my question and I feel a bit stupid having to ask it. I’m just starting on Dorico Pro 3.5 and am working on my first chart for a client (figuring that would push me past Sibleius and up the Dorico learning curve). I have a straight-forward a cappella chart divided into 8 staves. I’d like to be able to playback various combinations of the chart and after a bit of searching, found the 'Suppress playback" switch in the Properties window. However, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on doing what is advertised in its title. What am I missing?
Thanks very much!
charlie

Ahh…just figured it out! The Suppress playback switch has very granular control. So if you want to suppress a whole staff for the entire chart, you need to select the entire staff and then turn the switch on. My apologies for not figuring this out sooner. I stumbled onto it by accident right after posting to the Forum.

If you want to “solo” a staff, simply select two or more notes on this staff and press p to play. You can add notes from other staves if you want to hear them too.
Suppress playback is supposed to be used when tweaking a score with some notation that you don’t ever want to hear in the playback. Not the right tool here.
You can press F3 to show the mixer too. There are solo buttons that you can use to change the combinations of what you’re soloing on the fly — don’t forget to turn off solo buttons when you’re done.

2 Likes

Thanks Marc. Always good to know when one is using the wrong tool to make something happen…:slight_smile: The ‘select two notes in any staff you want to solo’ approach works great. Thanks! However, I haven’t really gotten into Play mode yet (although I have experience in Logic Pro) and I must be doing something terribly naive because my mixer view (attached) doesn’t show the four staves that I have (although all four play nicely in NotePerformer) and the Solo/Mute buttons don’t seem to have any effect at all. If you have the time to tell me what I’m doing wrong, great. But if not, that’s OK. I will dig into the Play mode et al when I finish the two choral charts I’m working on.
Take care,
charlie

NotePerformer has its own Mixer accessible in Play mode, which then feeds into two outputs of the Dorico Mixer.

Yes, Derrek is right, NotePerformer is a different beast from the others, and my F3 trick is no longer usable if that’s your main playback source (it’s mine). But the selection of notes does work.

Thanks Marc. Much appreciated. I easily found the NotePerformer3 mixer (once you informed me that I needed to look for it…:slight_smile: )
Take care,
charlie

Solo and mute would be more useful if Dorico did a MIDI solo/mute rather than mixer solo/mute.

MIDI solo = only play the notes on this instrument
MIDI mute = don’t play the notes on this instrument

The current way doesn’t work well with multi-timbral instruments where you have to open up their individual mixer.