[solved] 8.0.20: Meters, but no Sound in .10 Projects

Thanks so much, Steve (big fan of your music).

I did try that; no joy.

Strangely enough, I’m no longer having the problem. It was happening frequently in my current project when I worked on it at the weekend but now seems to have solved itself. I’d re-saved the project a couple of times in 8.0.2 so maybe that somehow cured the issue.

Good to hear. I did see that happen twice, but now I can’t even get it to produce sound at all.

What’s really weird is that I can get it to route audio out my audio interface’s ADAT ports to another computer and I can hear the audio there. :laughing:

It just won’t route to my audio interface’s main out, anymore.

But it least it’s talking to the audio interface’s device driver, etc.

This smacks of a prefs file issue, but I’ve cleared them many times now. And since blank projects work, whatever is broken in Cubase is via the .10 project file, so it seems not to be prefs related in that way, too.

I don’t think a reinstall would help, because blank projects work, but I may try that as a last resort.

If not, I will rollback to .10 so that I have access to previous projects, and then start my migration to Studio One; at least as a “plan b.”

What if you save it as a new version or as a backup such that you’re creating a whole new file… close and reopen? A shot in the dark

an update,

It seems like if I open my project via the - Menu bar – File – Open – and navigate to the Folder and open it, most often there is no sound, but the meters are pumping, even Stereo Out. (I get the same result if I go direct to the folder and double click on the file.)

If I then close the project and go to the Steinberg Hub and open the same project, there is sound.

Even if I now save the project, there is no sound, (but pumping meters,) if I try to open it again via - Menu bar – File – Open.

So most of the times, (not always) if I use the Steinberg Hub to open my project I get sound.

That is some freaky stuff man. It seems to be a connection issue to me.

Sorry I can’t help. That is just crazy.

Thanks. Yes, tried that. No luck.

Interesting. I’d try that, but can’t because Cubase also crashes on close, thus preventing the Hub’s recent file list from updating!

Maddening.

I think Cubase is trying to tell me something. :laughing:

Man, I would be mad myself…

Make sure to check everything. Websites for everything in your system. Update drivers for MOBO, interface, USB/Firewire Controllers, etc…

I see you have two systems. Have you tried installing Cubase on the Reaper rig? Maybe you can compare results and find the issue…

I don’t know man. I feel for ya. There is something with your setup or setting that is causing this. Just have to find it.

Best to ya.

Thanks, J. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

All problems go away with blank / small projects, including the crash on close. I keep a really lean, mean system and everything is up-to-date.

I think it’s just that Cubase doesn’t like my massive (6GB+ in RAM) projects. Only then, do the wheels fall of the cart.

• The no sound issue in .20.
  • Not opening the GUIs of many plugins.
  • Not retaining the instruments (they just disappear) and become unassigned.
  • Crashing on close.

I think I’m just going to abandon my old Cubase projects, since they have all lost their virtual instrument assignments, anyway. I didn’t realize it happened until it was much too late, because I was working off frozen tracks. When I unfroze them, the original VSTis were gone (unassigned).

Cubase lost all that work.

I could go back to a version, before, but too much other stuff with automation on buses, etc.

I"m just gonna have to start over on the one song I care about.

I’ve got a new approach, actually.

I’ve built a new ultra-low-latency DAW (32 sample buffer) 2.8ms running Studio One V3. It’s going to be hosting all the virtual instruments. It’s connected to my main DAW via SPDIF.

I’ll then use Cubase (or Studio One) to simply record the audio from it, like it might from any external synth (or rack of synths).

Arrange and mixing of the “bounced” audio, only, to keep things light.

Surely, Cubase can handle that.

I’ll rebuild the project in Studio One at the same time, and see which DAW works better.

So the final combo will either be Studio One + Cubase, or Studio One + Studio One.

By keeping the VSTis on a separate DAW, almost like a VE Pro server instance (but without the fancy networking moving parts), I’ll be keeping it decoupled and “safe” from the corruption that comes with a large project.

I’ve got sync software keeping the project files together.

Also, my 8 minute load time, in Cubase, will be cut in half I would think.

Honestly, I think I’ve just pushed Cubase, or any single DAW too far. It’s time to distribute the workload.

This seems like a more “complex” approach, but it’s feeling a lot simpler. The KISS approach.

I rolled back to 8.0.10 (reinstalled) and the problem has gone away. I have sound again.

There does indeed seem to be an issue with .20 working correctly with at least some .10 projects.

The question only I can answer is: do I…

1. …recreate my .10 projects from scratch in .20?
  2. …wait for another maintenance update and hope it solves the problem?
  3. …warm up to the idea “project corruption” is technically possible in Cubase, and that it may have happened?

On #3, and I’ve asked this before, but with no official response: Is project corruption possible in Cubase?

Or, if a project loads into RAM, has it by definition been “fixed” by Cubase.

That is, maybe certain plugins are missing, prefs have been set to their defaults, or other such “resetting,” but is the project at least guaranteed free of hidden corruption?

I’m going to start another thread on this topic, because it’s becoming a central theme to almost all my Cubase woes.

Same problem here: no sound when loading projects made with 8.0.10.

What is the solution?

This is a bug and deserves to be on the bug list… But sniffing out exactly how to reproduce it is the challenge. I’m hoping Steinberg is paying attention to this one.

It is known already, but it’s not reproduced yet and there is no known pattern. Probably pretty specific.

I already contacted Jalcide, if others can send me one or more .cpr files having the ‘no sound’ issue, please PM me.

Thank you.

I returned to 8.0.10.

Thank God Windows 7 has such an easy recovery function…

Well, I’ll be damned!
Today, out of the blue, no sound in my latest project! Meters moving, all good, but no sound…
Loaded another project, and that worked!
Loaded the first project again, worked as well.

EDIT: Closed Cubase, rebooted, reloaded the offending project: No Sound!
Wow.
Now what? :question:

EDIT2: Rolled back to 8.0.10 via Windows Add/Remove Programs, and all is well!
Double Wow.
Guys, this was TOTALLY out of the blue, I just went to work where I left off yesterday. Bam. Scary.
Now WTF? :unamused:

Benji

Strange behaviour… :imp:

I rolled back and everything is fine. :confused:

Steinberg support is informed and they examine the “bad” projects. :confused:

I’ll take a stab at answering it for you. :slight_smile:

Number 2 is the obvious choice. It’s not like there’s a whole avalanche of new features that you can’t do without in 8.0.2 so just roll back to 8.0.1 which takes about one minute and get back to life as usual. Review the situation when the next update comes out.

I’ll do the same thing. Cubase has been marvelous for me so far, but this is not right.

Benji

Yes of course it;s not right. I’m just saying that as a real world, minimal stress solution, it’s not that big a deal to roll back to 8.0.1 and see how it pans out with the next update. That’s the best option if you want to maximise productivity and minimise stress whilst sacrificing minor features offered by the 8.0.2 maintenance update.

Yes, you are totally right.
In my case rolling back was a bigger deal (because I needed to restore the Windows image)
but now everything is running as expexted with the elder version of Cubase.

Steinberg support says that they have a look on this issue.