[SOLVED] Bluetooth audio latency

Having tried bluetooth audio out from Cubasis to my 66 Audio BTS+, I am sorry to say that it does not seem very useful. I get such a long latency that real time recording is impossible. Is it supposed to be this way?

Best,
Sven

I believe the delay is with Bluetooth itself and not cubasis. It is still useful for mixing purposes, I personally use it to connect to different types of BT speaker for checking my base mixes before going to mastering. Saves a lot of plugging and unplugging

My main usage for Cubasis is for sketching ideas, i.e. creating melodies, chords, simple arrangements etc. One important part for me in that process is playing the keyboard live.

Thanks for clarifying what I can expect from my bluetooth headphones. Too bad I will have to replace them with more inconvenient cable driven ones. :frowning: …but, I will still love Cubasis as an easy access creative tool! :slight_smile:

Just to confirm what Andy is saying. BT will have some degree of latency, and isn’t caused by Cubasis, it will effect any audio app.

For recording, if you don’t have a dedicated hardwired audio interface for Cubasis, you could use the headphone output for monitoring. This will only really be of use if you are triggering MIDI stuff. For audio input while using the headphone output for monitoring, you will need a dedicated audio in.

Although I use an 18i20 as my main interface, I also use an iRig Pro. This will give a mono audio input, for either a microphone or line/instrument and includes phantom powering for condenser microphones. You can then monitor via the iPad headphone output, either via headphones or a speaker/amp setup. The analogue to digital conversion of the iRig Pro is brilliant and the pre-amp is really quiet.

As Andy is also saying. You can use BT in situations where the latency isn’t so much of an issues. Such as monitoring during mixing, if your Cubasis/iPad will connect to your BT receiver, or for testing your master mix files from Cubasis/iPad or any audio app that will see the BT reciever.

I don’t have much experience of BT for playing master audio files through. I assume that it does play the audio at full frequency, streaming the file direct. But depending on your audio format, bit depth and sample frequency, you may want to check that BT is sending the audio untouched. This is very important for properly gauging a master mix.

Although it is an extra expense. It may also be worth considering a hardwired Cubasis compatible audio interface with good converters, and possibly with MIDI. A good audio output is quite important for critical monitoring, as are your speakers and amplification. That said, the headphone/line output on the later iOS devices is surprisingly good if you don’t want to add any extra dedicated hardware.

Hi Sven,

As stated in Cubasis’ in-app help, both Bluetooth and AirPlay conflicts with audio recording and operate with fairly high latency (technology-related). These options have been included allowing you to playback Cubasis projects in other environments (check mixes on other speaker systems etc.), where latency does not matter.

For professional recordings, monitoring and playback relevant topics it is suggested to use a dedicated CC-capable audio interface such as Steinberg’s UR44, UR28M or UR824 (UR Series: USB 2.0 Audio Interfaces | Steinberg).

A few minutes ago Steinberg’s brand new UR242 has joined the club:

Thanks

Lars

I don’t have much experience of BT for playing master audio files through. I assume that it does play the audio at full frequency, streaming the file direct. But depending on your audio format, bit depth and sample frequency, you may want to check that BT is sending the audio untouched. This is very important for properly gauging a master mix.

Thanks David I hadn’t thought of that. :astonished: Most, if not all, BT devices do use lossy compression.

I guess that as a lot of people are using BT for speakers it is a very worth while check to do on mixes and masters. :smiley: But BT speakers should not be the only ones used when checking. So I guess it is back to putting mixes on my iPod and blasting them in the car again :smiling_imp: