solved: bug with media bay? --> system glitch (see last post

1. The issue should be ideally confirmed by other forum members to exclude a single system glitch or absurdity
    → please try to reproduce

2. We need a detailed reproducible case

• Create empty project
  • Add an instrument track (preferrably monologue as example)
  • choose a preset (e.g. House Bass)
  • save preset (insert name & press save)
    → Result = at a first sight, this is already strange, i get a window with empty presets (default preset location is messed up)
    ==> but at a second view, after pressing save
    ==>nothing happens, preset dos not get saved, and window stays open
    ==> this is already strange but may be a problem in my installation
    now comes the crash
  • in the same window, press “new folder”
  • browse to /Users/Library/Audio/Preset/Steinberg…/Monologue and press “open”
    → Result = crash

I think that means your Cubase Preferences are corrupted somehow. Try removing the Cubase 5(?) Preferences folder, and the Preference folder of any previous version you have, if any, so that Cubase will rebuild them from scratch upon next launch.

Just to go sure:

/Users/patrickreolon/Library/Preferences/Cubase5 ?
and / or:
/Users/patrickreolon/Library/Preferences/Cubase5/com.steinberg.cubase.plist

and/or
HALionOne folder, etc.?

==> Result = even though it seems, that the prefs were a bit corrupt, this did not solve the bugs mentioned above…
Please try to reproduce the bug/defect!

yes, that one :slight_smile:

==> Result = even though it seems, that the prefs were a bit corrupt, this did not solve the bugs mentioned above…
Please try to reproduce the bug/defect!

If I am following your recipe correctly, it is fine here.
Just to be sure, when you “Save” the preset, you mean as a vstpreset, via the menu at the top of the Monologue GUI?
(where in fact we click on “O.K” not “Save” as you wrote?)

Just to be sure, when you “Save” the preset, you mean as a vstpreset, via the menu at the top of the Monologue GUI?
(where in fact we click on “O.K” not “Save” as you wrote?)

→ yes, that’s right. It’s called “OK”…

→ did you also check for the crash (c5.5.2) when trying to change the save preset folder?

If it is so I can’t explain it… have deleted all my cubase prefs (even the ones of older Cubase versions) and still get that stupid error with wrong vstpreset folder and when I try to change it, the crash… quite weird…

Addendum (For purpose I did not edit my last post):

I removed now all Cubase pref folders and restarted cubase…
and get the same behaviour, just that the default preset-saving location has changed. Now it is not anymore a specific folder where I have the projects in, but it was “MACINTOSH HD” Folder…

Now I searched a little and found this one in the operations manual:

SAVING PRESETS
You cannot change the default folder, but you can add fur- ther subfolders inside the instrument’s preset folder.
• Under Windows, the default presetfolder is in the following location: Boot drive\Documents and Settings<user name>\Application data\VST3 Presets.
• Under MacOS, the default preset folder is in the following location: /Users//Library/Audio/Presets/ /.

→ And I don’t know if I should laugh or cry… That is in opposite to what the manual says. Why is just my Default-Saving Destination different??? Grrrrr. It’s supposed to be unchangeable.
→ but this could explain the crash. the window allows to redefine the base-folder, which supposedly is unchangeable. I assume that the possibility to redefine the location has come in, when changing to the Nuendo-MediaBay behavior… (this was not possible with e.g. 4.5.2)
==> BUT IT STILL SUCKS, THAT MY DEFAULT PRESET SAVING LOCATION IS WRONG…
i didn’t neither find the config file, where I could redefine this…

Clueless…

No, there is misunderstanding. What the manual says is correct. Your last post reads like you are referring to the default Project folder (e.g. where your recorded audio files will be stored).
What does MediaBay itself show for vstpresets?

No, there is misunderstanding. What the manual says is correct. Your last post reads like you are referring to the default Project folder (e.g. where your recorded audio files will be stored).

→ It may read wrong but the extract is from the “Saving Preset section” in the manual. And I refer to the save preset location…

What does MediaBay itself show for vstpresets?

that is the strange thing…
When i load a preset, the path is correct from /Users//Library/Audio/Presets/ /
BUT WHEN I TRY TO SAVE A NEW PRESET The actual Path I always get is: “MACINTOSH HD”… before deleting the prefs it was a kind of base_path for all my projects (/Users//Music/Cubase/eigeneSongs/SongsInArbeit)…
If i try to change the save-preset path I get a crash, create a new folder under “MACINTOSH HD” works too, but I still can’t save the preset (probably because the path is not anymore the default path, so i wouldn’t be able to reload it again ( I assume a internal verification fails and thus does not allow me to save it under a different path other than
/Users//Library/Audio/Presets/ /

???

What I am not understanding is… where are you seeing a path at all?..

OK… via screenshots it’s perhaps easier to explain.

On step 2 you see that unlike in e.g. cubase 5.1 or 4.5 in the save preset window, there do not appear any existing presets, not even default one (as it happened before)

Now I can try to create “New Folder” in step 3
in step 4 it appears, that the default save location is “MACINTOSH HD”
if I press “Neuer Ordner” or “New FOlder” the folder gets created but I still cannot press Ok to save the preset.
If I try to manually correct the preset location, by navigating to the Cubase Preset location in window 4 and then press “open” or “öffnen” Cubase crashes.

So it doesn’t matter what I do
I cannot save a new preset
and I cannot correct the saving location neither…

That’s crazy! :slight_smile:
When I click on “Create Folder” here, it opens the small dialog, as seen in the following screenshot, and when I click on “O.K.”, it simply adds the new folder to the top of the presets window. It doesn’t open any file selector. :confused:
Are you seeing any other file-related anomalies in Cubase?

I’m beginning to wonder if it is in any way related to the fact that you are using the German version of Mac OS X (yes?)

Yeah, that is wild, right?!!! :wink:
I was also wondering when i saw this behaviour…

I am using the german OSX version, can be that that causes the problem.

The behaviour of the save pattern window changed, when I switched to 5.5.2 or 5.5.1 (don’t remember anymore), i assume something in the upgrade went wrong. Before 5.5.2 behaviour of cubase was normal and I could save presets…

EDIT: A reinstall from scratch using my traditional preferences did not change anything. A new set of Prefs doesn’t help neither, as before the file-browser window appears (MACINTOSH HD as root).

I will try now to get back to 5.5.1 and try it with this version to reproduce where the error comes in…

Good luck :wink:… I’m afraid there isn’t really anything more I can suggest. but please keep us informed :slight_smile:
For further testing, why not create a new, basic, User Account on the Mac, then install Cubase on that (can’t remember if you’ll also need to install the eLicenser app on that account too).

thx vic… :wink: I wasn’t able to answer due to internet problems…

I actually have the first results:
I reinstalled Cubase from scratch, upgraded directly to 5.5.2 (with new prefs) and got the same results → file-browser window & crash

BUT: with 5.5.1 I get the desired behaviour and actually pressing: “new folder” brings up this tiny window asking for a folder name.
Now I could make further tests, upgrade again to 5.5.2 and see what happens (If I’m in mood for experimening I perhaps will do that :wink: BUT I actually assume it’s a bug in 5.5.2, because I remember the problem appeared after the 5.5.2 upgrade.

So far so good, (nearly) everything works as it should.
Nearly? Yes nearly :wink: I made another experience, which I have to reconfirm and which is probably an issue for another post: WHen I import a fxp and I browse o a folder, instead of adding the settings to the top menu (where you can directly select patterns) the menu gets emptied and all fxps in the chosen folder get displayed. This would be (for my oppinion) a terribly bad behaviour and nearly undesired, as “import” should import and not change the preset folder.
I saw that behaviour with a 3rdParty plugin and want to recheck that with a Steinberg Plugin when I am at home…

Concerning your suggestion: In windows all programs get installed for all users. Would that be different for OSX? Normally just the prefs do vary but programs & upgrades get installed for all accounts…

Apologies… my brain had apparently decided to take the night off! :blush: :smiley: You are perfectly correct. I think what I meant to say was simply to run Cubase from a new account (which would indeed create new prefs).

No problem… :wink: thought so…
Well, I think I’ll give it a try too as soon as I’ll reconfirm if it’s 5.5.2 specific or bound to the user-account…

OK…
Has gone I while but I dared to re-upgrade to 5.5.2 and now it worked.
Don’t ask me why but at least in my system
going from 5 to 5.5.2 produced the error. From 5 to 5.5.1 to 5.5.2 made the error not appear.

btw. the problem was independent from any user account. meaning it appeared on all accounts…