[SOLVED] Cubase 7 Elements not receiving "Program Change"

[SOLVED] - The solution was going into the OPTIONS of each individual instrument (ex. Halion, Pianoteq, etc) - and setting the option for ‘program change’ to on… This options menu is found when you click on the instrument and the overall instrument panel pops up with all the control buttons for that instrument… Every instrument seems to have a form of global option menu - where program change needs to be manually turned on… (I’m surprised this is the default setting of all the instruments)… Now my Axiom controller can change voices :slight_smile:

=====================================================================

Our MU-AUDIO Axiom Air 49 transmits midi program changes - which seem to be ignored by Cubase 7 Elements…

The utility tool, “MIDI-OX” (midi monitor), does successfully receive these program change messages - and is able to move around between different GM sounds… This proves the controller keyboard (Axiom Air 49) is sending the proper message…

However, Cubase is ignoring the program change midi commands…

Questions:

1. Should the midi indicator flash (on the transport bar) when program change commands are incoming? We see nothing.
  2. Is there a way to configure our virtual instruments (Ex. Halion Sonic) to start receiving these program change messages.

All of our FILE>PREFERENCES>MIDI settings are default values - and should NOT be filtering program change messages, based on the check-boxes…

I’m wondering if the bank MSB/LSB is being sent wrongly - but I have no clue how to determine which value should be sent to Cubase (for controlling the Halion Sonic voice changes)…

Midi-OX displays the following details for a program change initiated from our Axiom controller keyboard:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
Opened MIDI Input
Opened MIDI Output
00006527 1 1 C0 14 – 1 — PC: Reed Organ
00006527 1 2 C0 14 – 1 — PC: Reed Organ
00006527 1 3 C0 14 – 1 — PC: Reed Organ
00006527 1 4 C0 14 – 1 — PC: Reed Organ
00006528 1 1 B0 20 01 1 — CC: Bank LSB
00006528 1 2 B0 20 01 1 — CC: Bank LSB
00006528 1 3 B0 20 01 1 — CC: Bank LSB
00006528 1 4 B0 20 01 1 — CC: Bank LSB
00006529 1 1 B0 00 02 1 — CC: Bank MSB
00006529 1 2 B0 00 02 1 — CC: Bank MSB
00006529 1 3 B0 00 02 1 — CC: Bank MSB
00006529 1 4 B0 00 02 1 — CC: Bank MSB
Closed MIDI Input
Closed MIDI Output
Opened MIDI Input
Opened MIDI Output

Any advice will be greatly appreciated… Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi,

Make sure, the Program Change is not filtered out in the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter, in Record, or Thru.

Make sure, you are not using any Remote Device, which could filter it. Make sure, you are not using any Input Transformer.

Could you Add a MIDI track, and insert a MIDI Monitor MIDI Insert, and capture the incoming data?

Hi Martin,
Thanks very much for your help… I am most appreciative…

The solution was going into the OPTIONS of each individual instrument (ex. Halion, Pianoteq, etc) - and setting the option for ‘program change’ to on… This options menu is found when you click on the instrument and the overall instrument panel pops up with all the control buttons for that instrument… Every instrument seems to have a form of global option menu - where program change needs to be manually turned on… (I’m surprised this is the default setting of all the instruments)… Now my Axiom controller can change voices :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Martin…