[Solved] Cubase 8.5 license equals access to what versions?

Hello.

I have recently purchased Cubase Artist 8.5 and really love the changes made since the last version I used which was Cubase 5. That was a while ago but I was lucky enough to save my .cpr Project folder and presets to a backup hard drive.

I have installed Cubase Artist 8.5 and tested the backed up files but there were a lot of errors like “The project file contains ‘VST Expression’ data which is not supported by this program version. The data is ignored.”
“The plug-in “Monologue” could not be found for Instrument Track “Electric Mono Bass”!”
Some of these errors were fixed by installing Cubase 7.5 & 6.5 and some are solved by using the trial of Cubase 8.5 Pro.
Also; “The plug-in “Embracer” could not be found for Instrument Track “android love”!” just to name one and my beloved plug-in “Roomworks” also can not be found.

I’m definitely upgrading to Cubase 8.5 Pro as soon as possible because why limit your creativity. :slight_smile:
But as for now the only option that I can see to getting these extremely important projects functioning 100% is my own installation of Cubase 5, The one that I previously used wasn’t registered to me. I was practicing with it.
So this means I don’t have an installation disc for Cubase 5.
I got the ISO for Cubase 6 on the Steinberg Support Download Page but they seem to have left out Cubase 5.

This thread mentions an issue with needing a new Cubase 5 access code too so if a mod knows how I can avoid that, that would be great.

So my questions are as follows:

1. What Cubase versions are accessible with a Cubase Artist 8.5 license and dongle?

2. Where can I download the Cubase 5 ISO from Steinberg? It’s not in the ftp sever either.

3. Can one purchase a download access code for Cubase 5 “Pro” (with Full-featured Plug-ins and everything) as a stand alone addition to the Artist 8.5 license or will that involve upgrading to 8.5 Pro?

4. Will my current Artist 8.5 dongle work with Cubase 5 or will I need a “legacy dongle” for it?

5. Unrelated to this but can I leave the USB dongle plugged in at all time or is plugging/unplugging the best method for preventing it from breaking? Its connected to a desktop.

6. Also unrelated. If I purchase a good laptop for production could I use my desktop dongle to activate an installation of Cubase on said laptop while keeping the desktop installation functional?

7. Lastly, Will changing my somewhat defective motherboard with the same make and model of motherboard and much later to a new workstation cause my license to no longer function?

Much gratitude to any members and mods assisting me and future inquirers with this. :slight_smile:

All Artist-, Studio-, SL-, Elements-, Essential-, LE-, AI- versions

Don´t know what you mean with “stand alone addition”, but It will at least involve upgrading to Pro 8.5, unless you find someone, who will sell a Cubase 5 version to you.

Yes

You don´t need to activate any installation, you just need to have the dongle plugged in

No.

Thanks svennilenni. :slight_smile:

Just one more question.
How do I go about downloading the Cubase 5 “Pro” ISO?
I don’t see any download links in the “My products” Page, It only says “Cubase Artist 8.5 US”, “Activation status: Product activated”. And there only seems to be updates for cubase 5 available at the main site and the ftp sever.
I don’t currently have access to a phone so the “Create support request” option isn’t available to me.

Since you said that All Studio versions are available I guess that includes Cubase Studio 5 as well.
All I need is a download link for it, it’s not really a phone support type issue.

Also, Is the Cubase 5/Studio 5 installer like the newer versions, as in you only install one and the “extra options” are just locked until you upgrade to “Pro”?

Thanks again.

I really appreciate your assistance and that of anyone else. :slight_smile:

Try contacting one of the forum Mods.

I did not say anything about availability.

No, AFAIK the Studio 5 installer is a separate installer from Cubase 5

Before posting this topic I was looking into contacting a forum mod but wasn’t able to.
The option wasn’t available at that time but seems to be active now.
Oh and by “All Studio versions are available” I meant accessible with my license if I can get a hold of them. Sorry about the confusion.
I’ll try contacting the mod from the other thread, they seem very helpful.

Thanks for all your help svennilenni. :slight_smile:
Have a good one. :slight_smile:

You´re welcome - hope you get it to work.

Final Topic Update:

In order to work on older Cubase 5 “full version” projects without any issues a Cubase Pro license is required. Cubase Artist licenses such as Cubase Artist 8.5 only have access to Cubase Artist versions 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8 and 8.5 .

Personally, I’ve installed Cubase 5, 6.5, 7.5, and 8.5, Probably overkill but every thing uses the same resources so it doesn’t take up too much hard drive space.
Also care must be taken to place ones older files in the right file/folder locations stated here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/, re-scanning with the media bay and knowing that some virtual instruments and presets won’t work properly in all newer version of Cubase.
Personally, I’m able to open my old Cubase 5 projects perfectly in Cubase 5 but can also open them with some minor issues in Cubase 7.5 Pro. Having to reload a virtual instrument when first opening a Cubase 5 project in Cubase 7.5 Pro is one issue that I’m having but that might have to do with the 32-bit Cubase 5 install and the 64-bit Cubase 7.5 install being slightly incompatible.
Cubase 8.5 Pro doesn’t seem to support all of the features in Cubase 5.
That seems to be Steinberg not wanting to hold Cubase 8.5 and future versions of Cubase behind in order to remain backwards compatible with Cubase 5, Which I agree with so long as they keep the Cubase 5 ISO alive on their severs somewhere. Which they are generously doing so at the time of this post: (8/14/2016).

If any future inquirers have this issue, contact a forum Moderator and politely ask for a Cubase 5 link via Private Message, Noting that a Cubase 5, 6 Pro, 7 Pro, 8 Pro or later, license is required.
A Cubase Artist license is not enough to fully use Cubase 5 “Pro/Full”.

Hi.
I too have just bought Cubase 9 pro.
Being the eager beaver I hosed my older Cubase 5 system, thinking that 9 would be backwards compatible (big mistake! :open_mouth: :blush: ) - and no longer have Cubase 5 installation media.
Apart from my Cubase 5 projects, I also have a few 32-bit VST instruments and plugins that I would like to continue using - especially in the short term :confused:
As I’ve just created an account here, I can as yet not PM a moderator. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cubase 5 image/download - I’m currently downloading Cubase 7.5, but I’ve heard that it too has issues with 32-bit, which is why I would like to reinstall Cubase 5.

I hope someone can help.