[SOLVED]Delete VCA Fader?

First, I do not know why it does not work on your system. Every time I erase the corresponding track in the arrange window, the VCA fader will be deleted as well.
Second, the behaviour with the VCA slots is exactly the same as with all other tracks. If you like to have the VCA fader in a certain area of your mixer, just move the VCA track in the arrange window accordingly to it.

Why would you ever want to “enter record” on a single channel/fader in a VCA group???
I think that misses the point of what a VCA group is for.

First of all, the only time I ever even see a VCA “track” appear in the arrange window, is if I create them there. If I create VCA tracks in the mixer, nothing ever appears in the arrange window at all! Maybe that is a workaround then, to only create them in the arrange window. Maybe it will let me delete them then. I will mess with it again and see, but right now it feels buggy!

@toader

that is weird behavior!
Do you have the visibility turned off in your project window or track type filtering?
track_visibility_cpro8.png

Ok - I have discovered the problem.

Rule #1: The VCA can only be deleted from within the Arrange window. Not from the mixer. There is absolutely no way to delete a VCA from the mixer directly.

Rule #2): THE BUG:

Creating a VCA is good in all ways but one. This one way is broken: If I highlight all of the channels in the mixer I want to link, right-click, and select “Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels”, it creates a VCA fader in the mixer, but it does NOT create a VCA track in the arrange window. Because no VCA track was created in the arrange window, the fader cannot be deleted (because of rule #1 above).

Sorry, but I’m convinced this is impossible. Every fader has to have a corresponding track in the arrange window.

Yeah, even if you create it on the mixer it is still on the arrange page. And removing all tracks just makes it a dead VCA, you are then free to add to it or remove it.

Here is an example showing what is happening:

Lol. I verified toader’s bug on the first page. I don’t think the other two guys are following the instructions well, but maybe that video will help.

@toader

Ok. I have closely observed your video.

First… The tracks you selected in the mixer are not visible on the project window.
They are FX channels so the VCA group fader is likely appearing within the FX channel group folder that you have CLOSED (folded) on the project window.

Expand that folder and have a look.

Second… You haven’t gone and deleted the VCA master fader only unbound (unlinked) the VCA grouping to that fader, deactivating it but not deleting it.
If you manually recreate the link the between the VCA fader and the FX channels, you should restore normal function.

FX channels are purple. I was using standard VSTi channels from Kontakt.

HOWEVER…

Your post just helped me discover the problem!!! For real this time!

The VCA channel was indeed in the arrange window! It was placed in the automation folder for VST Instruments! I go there, and I CAN delete it.

Many thanks!!! FINALLY! I was beginning to think I had gone insane or something.

Yes of course I have (everyday since the release of SX3) and you can also manually alter any channel color.

In any case, the channels you have selected were NOT visible on the project window.
Maybe they weren’t altered FX channels but they are definitely titled and prepended with “FX” in the video!

Sorry for being a bit rude. I erased that, but you replied before I could edit my post… see above.

Anyway, you have solved this problem for me! Many many thanks! The VCA track was indeed in the arrange window - it was in the VST Instruments folder. FINALLY. I am now able to delete VCA tracks… many thanks. I am not crazy! Stupid maybe… but not crazy!

I take back what I said as well. I think fretthefret is right now. I can successfully add a VCA fader with “Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels…” and then find that fader in the arrange window and delete it. As he pointed out, I imagine that when I tried it previously the fader must have been hidden in a folder somewhere and I just wasn’t finding it. :blush:

Yep… see my most recent post above.
PROBLEM SOLVED.

No problem guys. Happy to help.
I also understand how a new version can throw the screw in our day and make us more edgy than we would normally be.
Especially so for those of us that rely on software to earn a living!

Actually, this is not true. There is a way to remove the VCA faders from the MixConsole.

1. Select “Edit Link Group Settings…” in the pop-up meny above the fader.
  2. Uncheck “Use VCA Fader” in the dialog that pops up and select “OK”.
  3. Select “Yes” in the warning dialog that pops up.
  4. Bye-bye VCA fader!

Maybe not the most logical procedure, but it’s no bug! It’s all explained in this video, at 03:01:

It’s also covered in the PDF manual on page 307.

If that’s the case why didn’t someone at Steinberg just tell us this instead of letting the post go on for 6 days and make everybody hunt for the cheese?

I wish I could help you with that aswell, but I’m afraid I can’t. Only that it’s in line of what can be expected of the quality Steinbergs support these days.