[SOLVED!] Dorico 3.5 Audio Engine Waiting for connection

Unfortunately my 3.5 installation is not running right and the program does not start but stays with this “Audio Engine Waiting for connection” message.
Dorico 3 is running fine BTW

I forgot which file I should upload?

Edit:
There is nothing in the VSTAudioEngine3.5_64 except a “vst2whitelist.txt” which has been probably be copied during the installation.

Edit 2:
For whatever reason after rebooting the computer (which I already did before) then starting the e-licenser again (which I also already did before) Dorico 3.5 could start!

Sorry for the noise

Edit 3
The problem is back!
See next post

Unfortunately the problem is here again!
As I saw that NotePerformer was not active I cleared the audio cache button as suggested by Paul here

and restarted Dorico 3.5 and again it stays with the Audio Engine Waiting for connection :frowning:

Since you can’t open Dorico anymore, you also can’t let it create a diagnostics report. Instead please create one manually.
Zip up the folders:
C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico3.5
C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine3

Also, please have a look at
C:/Users//Documents/Steinberg/CrashDumps
and see if you can find some recent crash dumps of Dorico or the VSTAudioEngine there. Please also zip them up and attach here. Thanks

Thanks Ulf for answering already late evening!
Right now I could run Dorico 3.5 again!
I accidentally closed an app which was running im background (something wit usb) and suddenly I could start Dorico.
But it seems something is curious so I upload the diagnostic file I could create:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.55 MB)
BTW I can see in “Play” that NotePerformer is not active.

Edit:
As I am now able to open Dorico 3.5 I edit the thread title again as solved though I am really not sure what happened!

Have you tried to re-select NP in the Playback Templates, or if NP is already selected, re-clicking Apply?

I have the same “Audio Engine Waiting” issue after upgrading to 3.5.
I have restarted PC multiple times.
Sometimes if I leave Dorico on the splash screen for several minutes, with elicenser open, the elicenser window contents flashes many times, and then Dorico works. Anyone got any ideas how to make it work better please?

Can you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report from inside Dorico (once it starts up) and attach the resulting zip file here?

That’s all very curious. There are no crash dumps in the diagnostics, but the log files of the audio engine do often break off after the finishing of scanning for VST3 plug-ins. Usually the registration of the plugs then shall happen. So somehow the audio engine came here to a halt or endless loop but can’t really tell exactly. And now it suddenly works…I don’t know why. We have to keep an eye on this.
To the NotePerformer topic. Well, it does not appear in 3.5 because it got blacklisted. What version of NP do you have? And can you still use it in Dorico 3.1? If so, then there must be a change in the vstscanner responsible for it.
Could you please run the vstscanner manually? Therefore, open a Command window (press the Windows key, then type ‘cmd’ and enter). In there type the command

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico3.5\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vst2xscanner -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dll”

What is the output then?

Thanks for your answer.

To the NotePerformer topic. Well, it does not appear in 3.5 because it got blacklisted.

Yes I already noticed this.
I deleted the blacklist but each time I start Dorico 3.5 the program creates the blacklist again with “NotePerformer” blacklisted

BTW I noticed that in the folder:
“user/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64/”
there is a file called “Vst2xPlugin Infos Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine.xml”
Adn there I can see another path to NotePerformer:

And in the blacklist file (Vst2xPlugin Blacklist Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine.xml) NotePerformer is blacklisted with this path:

BTW on my system the NotePerformer64.dll is to find in both paths

What version of NP do you have?

AFAIK the latest 3.3.1.

And can you still use it in Dorico 3.1? If so, then there must be a change in the vstscanner responsible for it.

Yes, NotePerformer works flawlessly in Dorico 3.1.10.1032

Could you please run the vstscanner manually? Therefore, open a Command window (press the Windows key, then type ‘cmd’ and enter). In there type the command

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico3.5\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vst2xscanner -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dll”
What is the output then?

A little bit difficult to answer as I am not sure if I could run your command in the right way.

If I run the complete command (from C:\ in the command prompt) as you write it I get:
Der Befehl “C:\Program” ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder konnte nicht gefunden werden.

If I omit "C:" in your command I get:
Der Befehl “Program” ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder konnte nicht gefunden werden.

If (using CD) I manually go to the “Components” folder and run:
vst2xscanner -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dll”

I get:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico3.5\VSTAudioEngine\Components>

And what if you cd to the components folder and do

vst2xscanner.exe -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dll”

Same result?

This is what I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dllInstrument56535457494F416E6F7465706572666F56534557494F416E6F7465706572666FNotePerformer64Wallander InstrumentsVST 2.43.3.0.14410001133

Okay, that is the expected output, I get the same. But still a mystery why NP ends on the blacklist then, because the output suggests that the plug-in is fine and may be used.
I don’t know, I need to talk to Mr. VstScanner on Monday…

Any thought about the “contradictory” VST2 paths as mentioned two post above?

It doesn’t matter. For VST2 plugs you need to tell Dorico where to look for the plugs and I checked in your diagnostics, the VST2-paths are set up to only look at C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\NotePerformer64.dll

ok, thanks

After following the instructions given by forum member Dup, NotePerformer is now running in Dorico 3.5 :slight_smile:

This is the thread:

These are the instructions:

To be honest, I have no idea why the given recipe would solve the issue, but if it does, well, even better. You are up and running, excellent :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Maybe the part with running “VSTAudioEngine3.exe” before starting Dorico did something different?

Hello,

I cannot open same issue (2024).

I email them to you just now. Please help out.

CS

Hi @Chikitin ,
thanks for the data. Just to verify something, please navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and rename the contained VST3 folder to something else e.g. _VST3
By that Dorico’s audio engine won’t “see” the VST3 plug-ins any more, and by that Dorico will hopefully start up until the Hub window? Of course, that is not the final solution, but we have to establish where exactly the problem is. Thanks