SOLVED - eLCC licence worry

Opened my Licence Centre today and saw a slightly difference display with some of the licences showing Application Instances numbers against them?
Does anyone know what these relate to. All the licences are full unlimited licences so this ‘Application instances’ count is a bit worrying.

Ive tried to attach an image to show the screen.

Observations anyone

Cheers
David
elcc.jpg

Some applications restrict the number of instances you can run at any one time (I have no idea why this restriction should ever be imposed, as they are all running on the same computer). Though, I have one application that I know is licensed for 2 instances limitation, but my eLicenser panel doesn’t show the instances though (I am running eLicenser V6.1.4.1048 on a PC).
You could test this by trying to run 5 instances of Halion, it should complain on the 5th instance.

So does anyone know why a manufacturer feels the need to restrict the number of instances? Surely they are not expecting us to buy it again to run extra instances?

Thanks for observations.
Ill give it a try and report findings.

Cheers
David

Curiouser and Curiouser

Note in the first eLCC screen shot above it showed 5 instances against Halion Sonic 1.5.
I ran 5 standalone Halion Sonic Apps and sure enough it did not let me open a 6th. So the term unlimited licences is debateable.

However I then open eLCC control centre again and the Application instances count for Halion Sonic now reads 10 ??? See screen shot.
However still unable to open more than 5 instances.

Seems an issue with the eLCC code there.

The question remains on the definition of ‘unlimited licence’. I have the computing power but can only run 5 instances of Halion Sonic on the full licence?

Anyone else able to open more than 5 instances of Standalone Halion 1-5?

David
eLcc2.jpg

This is odd. My eLCC is being inconsistent.

After rebooting and opening eLCC again I see nothing on the licence screen referring to Application instances against any of the licences.
Tested this by opening 12 occurances of Halion Sonic 1-5 with no problems.

What is causing this inconsistancy in the USB dongle licence data I have no idea. It appears that based on my purchased licences I should see no Application Instances data shown in the licence list as the existance of this information does restrict the use (implying limited not the unlmited use I paid for).

I wonder if this has any linkage to possible demo licences from Cubase 6 installs

Does anyone else see this type of behavoir from the dongle licences, could this indicate a possible dongle failure???

Comments appreciated

Cheers
David

I see it on an mp3 encoder that I didn’t notice before. As I’ve paid for an mp3 license I’ll have to see what pans out. Maybe it’s a job for Cubase support or elicenser support.
I forgot what I did on installation so I could have loaded that mp3 encoder but I chose not to load any of the other demos.

I don’t see the “Application Instances: n” lines, at all.

not at my pc at the moment - but I thought the Application instances was how many you are currently running ? - maybe if you didn’t have a clean shutdown it would leave the instance open. hence after a reboot they had all cleared ?

Indeed, if you open the eLicenser Control Center while any of the applications are running, this should be listed in the eLicenser Control Center. But what exactly happens when you try to open yet another instance? Do you get any error message then?

EdDoll and Dr - Thanks for responses

Heres my latest test with associated eLCC jpg

Open C6 - Production Template Electro - This Auto Creates 5 Halion Sonic SE Tracks

Open eLCC - Shows Cubase 6 Application Instances count of 5

Leave eLCC open

Open 2 standalone Halion Sonic 1-5 apps

eLCC - now shows addition of HALion Sonic Application Instances of 2

Add a Grand 3 Virtual Instrument (Model D) Track into Cubase 6

eLCC - Shows The Grand 3 Application Instances of 3 and a HALion 3.x Instance of 1 ??

So all seemed to be working logically until the Grand 3 code hit the licencer unless there are multiple licence counts triggered by a single instance of the Grand loading the Steinway D piano.

It is possible that I did have a Cubase 6 crash - due to an as yet unknown reason (posted seperately) where loading the Grand 3 after Halion Sonic 1-5 on a project which already had 5 instances of Halion SE in its template caused C6 to crash on my machine (Memory reads at approx 80%) and had failed to reboot therefore the possible scenario Dr raised. More testing needed I guess.

So a new question raised is why does the Grand trigger 3 x TG3 and 1XHAL3 instances on the licencer.

Cheers
David
eLCC-3.jpg

The Grand 3 contains components that are used with HALion 3.x as well and can be used with both instruments so that is just fine the way it is.

The rest is most likely related to the crash you mentioned. It is hard to tell what exactly happens after a crash and how licenses are displayed in the eLicenser Control Center after that. But there is no general limitation to use only 5 instances of a certain component.

EdDoll

Thanks for responses

Now Application instance data is explained I’m pretty convinced that the issues are related to the crash as well as some issues with security permissions as far as update to the USB e-licensing database.

When you have invested thousands in software value and its all tied up in the dongle it sets the nerves on edge when oddities appear which you’ve never noticed. Because Ive seldom experienced any major problems with Steinberg software I tended to take it for granted and switch off a bit on the observation front.

With my dongle worries put to rest I can now concentrate on trying to identify the reason for my C6 crashes with Halion Sonic, Halion Sonic SE and the Grand3.

Cheers
David