[SOLVED] eLicenser ProtectExecuter driver won't load

This is the message I got from the eLicenser Software, after hitting Maintaince update:
“serial number of your Soft-eLicenser is not unique”? I tried the latest version of eLicenser software, no help.

Anything I can do to solve this myself?

I haven’t been using the dongle + DAW for two months (due to moving to a new house).

I’m planning to make some music during this christmas. I have submitted a support request and I hope someone will answer tomorrow before going on the holidays… :confused:
eLicenser_Capture.PNG
Edit: changed topic name.

There’s no guarantee but you could try a system restore, which may also un-install your update but, (if) it works, could at least see you good for the holiday.

Good luck

I tried a System Restore, didn’t help.
Anyone else have any suggestions??


I have tried running elc-installation-overwriter.exe (recommended by Steinberg, http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5766088)

I have tried cleaning registry from all USB devices (using DriveCleanup + USBDeview). NOTHING helps.
It seems like some invisible driver still exists somewhere on the disks which blocks the installers driver.

I have removed ALL known/visible components, also recommended by Steinberg (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5766088#p5766409)

Btw, Dongle works fine on another computer.

Gah. Looks like I need to re-install Windows and everything. Unreal…

Oh my god Steinberg. Still got no answer from the support. I am replying myself since I managed to solve this problem. Not thanks to eLicencer/Steinberg though.

This is how I solved it:
I installed a Installer tracker/monitor to see what files where installed/changed and what registry keys were created on Windows during the installation process of eLicenserControlSetup.exe.
Then I copied the DPInst (DriverPackage with SynUSB64.* files) from a temporary directory that was created during installation - before the eLicenser installation deleted these temp files after installation was “done”.

The error was caused by a faulty checker in the eLicenser-installer. I think it checks for hardware changes in Windows (not sure). It was FAULTY triggered since I have the same computer, I just changed USB ports since I moved to a new house. I know that it triggered something because the eLicenser log file “eLCC_Actions.log” says: “THREAD SWITCH!!!” (yes, with three exclamation marks!) right after the text “USB Driver version”…

So, to solve the problem I manually chose to install/update new drivers for the USB device called “ProtectExecuter” and pointed it to the drivers (SynUSB64.dll, .cat, .inf).

I know I am not the only one that have had this problem triggered, so Steinberg, please fix this. Legit users should not be affected like this.

Huge thanks to myself and my 20+ years of computer engineering. :nerd: