Solved: Import Audio CD doesn't work.

Very strange thing has happened.

I wanted to import an audio CD (done it many times before in Wavelab, including a few times in WL9).
The thing is, that now, all of a sudden, I can’t see the drives anymore, in WL9. I have two CD/DVD an old Plextor and a newer Pioneer, but there’s nothing to see on the source drop-down list, in the audio cd import dialog. How do I get them back?

Windows has no problems seeing both drives and plays what’s on them without any issues - what can be wrong, why can’t Wavelab 9 see them?

::
Mads

Do you see the drives if you try to burn a CD? I know from viewing this forum there are some Windows driver related issues with optical drives and chances are you need to install or update those. I don’t think this is rare case.

I’m sure PG will point you to the right direction.

Perhaps related to this thread?:

Thanks Justin

Seems related yes, still I can’t fix it. “GEAR ASPI Filter Driver” is there all right, but it’s not started. The question is how to do this - how to make it start?

Mads

Try reinstalling

Perhaps you made a change in the BIOS setting? Avoid enabling a thing called “Aggressive LPM Support”.

I did - I also tried to remove it, and then did a fresh install - but that didn’t help either.

Mads

Did you try double clicking on Filter Driver, and trying to start it manually?
(EDIT: sorry, that doesn’t work from System Information).

But mostly, what do you get when you run the 32 or 64 bit checker app at the top of this page:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Determining_if_GEARAspi_drivers_are_installed_correctly

It says that drivers are not installed correctly…
I’ll give it another go.

Mads

Tried again to reinstall the gear drivers, after removing every GEARAspi dlls.
Still no luck
Also did the check again - and uploaded the results - hopefully this can help

Mads
GEARAspi Verifier.jpg

FWIW, after years of exceptional (it just works) performance from Pioneer drives … I’ve had two now (one just out of the box) that just refuse to “work”. Neither Windoze 7 Professional or 10 seem to be able to “see them” even though they declare that drivers have been downloaded and installed. The Pioneer site isn’t terribly helpful. I have given up on them.

Regarding Pioneer, I don’t think this is “it”. I have two drives (Plextor and Pioneer), and Windows 7 can “see” both, I can play music from them etc, and WL9 could too until recently (not sure what happened).

I have an idea that the issue might be related to the “UpperFilters value”, that are not present in my system. I can find several articles about removing it, but not much about restoring it. Hopefully someone can help me here, I need to get it to work again as soon as possible.

I wonder if a re-installation of WL9 will fix it, tried to “repair” the WL9 installation but without result. Do I need to reinstall using the original installer and then install the latest patch afterwords?

Mads

Did you really check carefully this:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Determining_if_GEARAspi_drivers_are_installed_correctly

Espescially the link at the bottom of this page:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=CD/DVD_drives_disappearing_due_to_incorrect_registry_entry

Reinstall WaveLab won’t help you by itself. When you install WaveLab, the following driver is installed:

and you can do this directly, without (re)installing WaveLab.

I can’t imagine why the uninstall and reinstall is not working for you, but if you no longer have the Gear drivers in add/remove, I thought there was an uninstaller on their website, but maybe I’m wrong, because all I see is a rather long manual uninstall.
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php/DRIVERS:_Windows_-_Updating,_removing,_64_bit_versions,_etc#Vista.2C_Windows_7_and_newer_64-bit

The problem might be because of another Gear Powered product (iTunes, Norton), but it hasn’t affected my ability to the re-install Gear in the past. I encountered a Gear file missing because of Norton once, but uninstalling and reinstalling Gear fixed it. Other than a system restore back to when it was working, maybe PG or Gear would have an idea what to do?

Have people checked the BIOS setting called “Aggressive LPM Support”? This must be disabled on the SATA bus for most optical drives, but I believe the default for most motherboards is to leave it enabled. So check this setting first because otherwise you’re on a wild goose chase.

Would that affect the ability to uninstall and properly re-install the Gear drivers? The driver checker is showing basically nothing installed.

Just tried the solution using regedit - problem is the UpperFilters entry isn’t there, so I can’t back it up.

Mads

Hi,

Have you tried tips from Microsoft !?
“Upperfilters” and maybe “Lowerfilters” as well Google this

regards S-EH

Yes I searched several times, and just did again. But almost everything is about deleting Upperfilters and LowerFilter, as a troubleshooting trick for making CD/DVD drives work in windows. I need the opposite - at least to have my UpperFilters back.

Mads

I have checked, but I can’t that specific bios setting - anyhow the drives work perfectly in Windows, no warnings in device manager or anything - Still WL doesn’t “see” the drives.

Mads

If you run the installer and the software is already installed, the installer gives you two options: You can either repair the installation or remove the software, I’ve tried both, with no success. Yes it seems like the installer isn’t working properly on my system. But I remember reinstalling Gear software earlier on, and it worked. (I don’t have Norton or iTunes btw)

Mads