[Solved Internally] Dorico misuses Chinese version of Hiragino Sans as Japanese UI fallback font.

This thread is created for memo purposes.

Preamble: Since Dorico is a Qt application, on macOS it requires both in-app language configuration and macOS Catalina System App-Specific Language Settings to be set to the East-Asian language you want. Otherwise, unexpected font fallback problems may happen.

In this bug report we suppose that both settings are Japanese. If one’s macOS has Japanese language enabled and set as the system-wide primary language, then the macOS Catalina System App-Specific Language Settings may be unnecessary.

Issue: Dorico misuses Chinese version of Hiragino Sans as Japanese UI fallback font.

What Expected: Dorico in Japanese UI (both of the above settings are Japanese) is expected to use “Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN” (The Japanese version of Hiragino Sans) as the Japanese UI fallback font right behind the default English UI font.

!!! Considering that “Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN” has less ideograph support than “Hiragino Sans GB”, the ideo fallback sequence should be: “English UI Font → Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN → Hiragino Sans GB”

Actually: The programmer or the localization worker misused “Hiragino Sans GB” (The Simplified Chinese version of Hiragino Sans) in this case. Some Japanese users are sensitive and feel sick with fonts printed in non-Japanese glyph standards. // In China, vice-versa.

Reference:
https://twitter.com/soyaShigetter/status/1231967552525307905

[The translation of #1st floor into Japanese is given in this floor.]
[上記の投稿をここで和訳します。]

前提としての話ですが、DoricoはQt(QuickTimeでなく)そのフレームワークの上に構築したソフトウェアのため、特定の東アジア言語版を使う時に、「Dorico環境設定→全般→言語」と「macOSシステム環境設定→言語と地域ア→プリケーション→Dorico」を両方設定する必要があります。でなければDoricoは予想以外のUIフォントにフォールバックしてしまう可能性があります。

今回のケースで「Dorico環境設定→全般→言語」と「macOSシステム環境設定→言語と地域ア→プリケーション→Dorico」を両方「日本語」と設定します。もしシステムの最優先言語は既に日本語だとしたら、macOSシステム環境設定でプリケーション別の言語設定は要らないかもしれません。

【支障】Doricoの日本語版モードで「ヒラギノ角ゴ 簡体中文」をUIフォールバックフォントとして誤用しています。

【希望】Doricoの日本語版モードで使うフォールバックフォントには「ヒラギノ角ゴ ProN」を最優先フォールバックフォントとして使うはず。少なくとも、フォールバックの順番は「英語UIフォント → ヒラギノ角ゴProN → ヒラギノ角ゴシック簡体中文」は最も理想的です。(「ヒラギノ角ゴ 簡体中文」は「ヒラギノ角ゴ ProN」より多い漢字をサポートしています。)

【現状】プログラマーあるいは日本語ローカライゼーション担当者は「ヒラギノ角ゴ 簡体中文 (Hiragino Sans GB)」と「ヒラギノ角ゴ ProN (Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN)」と間違ってしまいました。日本で日本の印刷字体標準以外の標準で印刷した漢字を読みづらい人が少なくありません。(中国大陸では中国大陸の印刷字体標準以外の標準で印刷した漢字に気に入らない人も少なくないです。)

【参考】
https://twitter.com/soyaShigetter/status/1231967552525307905

We’ve already been over this on Twitter at great length. There’s no need to duplicate all of that here. I’ve already told you that this will be taken care of.

Sorry for making you feel being offensed (I didn’t mean to). The thread here is only for memo purpose.

The issue is that Dorico isn’t explicitly specifying a UI font for the Japanese version on macOS, while it is on Windows. But that will be fixed in the next major release (I have already fixed it in our internal builds). Thanks for bringing the issue to my attention, but that’s all that is required to ensure something gets fixed. Once we know about a problem, we will fix it.

Thanks for letting us know that this issue has already been addressed.
I personally prefer the multi-fallback policy I mentioned explicitly in this thread.
However, at least, Shigeta’s concern is completely solved in your internal builds.
Thanks for your efforts.
---------Japanese Translation-----------
解決したという情報をくれてありがとうございます。
個人的には、このスレッドだけで話したフォールバック方法を推奨していますが、
少なくとも、重田さんの悩んでいた支障はもう企業内部テスト版で解決したようです。
お疲れ様でした。