[solved] MIDI input and Instruments

I was eagerly waiting for the implementation of the MIDI instruments feature, but I’m not being able to use it properly. Let me know if I’m doing something incorrectly.

I want to route a track’s MIDI output to a DAW, instead of feeding it to a VST hosted in Dorico. I’m doing this via a IAC bus. However, Dorico listens to every MIDI port available — including, naturally, said MIDI bus —, which immediately causes a nasty feedback loop which grinds the whole thing to a halt.

I understand the feature was probably meant to drive hardware synths, but we should have a way to choose which channels Dorico listens to.

Currently Dorico listens to all input MIDI devices which unfortunately can cause the feedback loop with the IAC bus. There isn’t a UI yet to disable input from a specific port in Dorico but it’s possible to edit the preferences file manually to disable a port. See: Choose Midi Port? - #6 by PaulWalmsley - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

You can disable midi input devices by editing the preference.xml file. See this thread for more info. I don’t know wether this will affect midi output devices as well, but it’s worth a try.

Oh my, sorry, I didn’t realize this had come up before — though I did figure it was too big an issue to remain untouched. It’s working now, but I look forward to the update. Keep up the great work.