[SOLVED] Multiple MIDI Port Recording and Playback

Hello. I’m considering Cubasis as a master sequencer for a busking project using 4 Novation Circuits, 4 Korg Mini KP 2’s, a MicroGranny 2, and a Mini Kaossilator all run through a 6 channel battery powered mixer. I’m wanting to use an iPad to sequence the 4 Novation Circuits each on their own dedicated MIDI port fed from an iConnectivity Mio 4. My question is this: Does Cubasis support multi port MIDI hardware so that I can set up 4 channels of MIDI data going out of Cubasis (Ch 1, Ch 2, Ch 10, and Ch 16) to a Circuit and 4 channels coming back in to Cubasis (same MIDI channels) from a Circuit on each MIDI port for which there is a Circuit connected? This would be a total of 32 MIDI channels split across 4 MIDI Out ports and 4 MIDI In ports. I know I could easily do this with my laptop and Ableton but I’m wanting a lightweight (hence the iPad) solution and it seems like this will fit the bill perfectly if Cubasis does in fact support multi port MIDI hardware.

Thanks!

Hi Vecchierelli,

Thanks for your message.

While we’re not equipped with the iConncectivity device ourselves, Cubasis will display multiple MIDI hardware ports separately, so we do not see a problem here. However, please note that Cubasis does not allow MIDI channel changes when using the MIDI Thru function.

If helpful, please download Cubasis LE, the compact version of Cubasis.
While this app version comes with a considerably reduced feature set and can be unlocked via supported hardware only, it allows to test drive the app for a thirty-minute period.

Lastly give it a try to get in touch with iConnectivity regarding your plans.
I’m fine to have them equipped with a Cubasis promo code for their testings, if required.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Vecchierelli,

Have sent a message to iConnectivity to ask if they’ve checked the case themselves and offered a promo code, in case they haven’t.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the reply. I wasn’t thinking about it before but I do have an iConnectivity iConnectMIDI2+ that I can try with Cubasis LE to test. I had forgotten about it completely… Channel changes using MIDI Thru shouldn’t stop me from what I’m wanting to do but thank you for making me aware of it. From what you’ve said it sounds like it will work perfectly and I’ll report back once I’ve tested it.

Thanks again!

Hi Vecchiarelli,

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us have your feedback, once you’ve tested the iConnectivity device in the thirty minute Cubasis LE demo mode.
When using Cubasis LE, please keep in mind that the app is a more compact version of the full Cubasis version.
Have a look at this comparison chart to learn more: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mobile_apps/cubasis_le/feature_comparison.html

Best,
Lars

Hi Vecchiarelly,

We’re in exchange with the nice guys from iConnectivity and have provided them with Cubasis promo codes for their testing purposes.
Please have a look at your inbox, to read more about our conversation.

Best,
Lars

I finally had some time over the weekend to test the iConnectMIDI2+ with Cubasis LE in demo mode and I can confirm that it worked perfectly.

I’ve been reading through the features of Cubasis and haven’t been able to find anything about importing MIDI. Is it possible for me to import my MIDI sequences into Cubasis?

Hi Vecchiarelli,

Thanks for the update.
I’m glad to hear things work as expected with your iConnectMIDI2+ and Cubasis.

Best,
Lars

Hi Vecchiarelli,

Cubasis allows both to import and export MIDI files (*.mid).
To learn more, please have a look at the MediaBay chapter of the Cubasis in-app help.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Hi… so I can send 4 channels (123 and 10) to my Roland jdxi to play a 4 part midi song arranged in CUBASIS2 ?
(Using camera connection to midi)
Point 2
If I had a suitable midi/audio interface connected to the iPad could the audio-out from the keyboard… as it is played by cubasis… be fed back into the interface and recorded alongside the midi tracks as an audio track?

Hi Timothyclay,

Both topics should be no problem, given the hardware is capable of doing it.
You’re able to test it out yourself in the 30 minutes demo mode of Cubasis LE - our compact version of Cubasis.

Best,
Lars